Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Written by the great Mike Gaddis.

Having been owned by a bunch of dogs (both pointing and retrieving breeds) and one whose talent and abilities were truly far beyond the norm, I just wish I knew a lot of the stuff in here when I got him those many years ago. That dog was so great that not even I could screw him up and I'm very thankful for the memories I have.

I hope others enjoy this as much as I did.

Great Dogs - Sporting Classics Daily

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
The best bird dogs of my youth got started hunting as puppies really to young to be hunting. We carried them when they got tired and put them down to work birds and find the dead birds. Their second season they were truly good bird dogs and just better than with age. When you look your dog in the eye and it it works the quail perfectly it doesn't get any better than that!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Like the writer, I love my dog and all of your hunting dogs as well. There's no better connection than that of a dog and his pet human.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My uncle had a heart attack and the doctor told him to walk for his recovery. He purchased a German shorthair and walked the fields for pheasant. The dog was an awesome hunter and could find birds anywhere. One day we stopped at a field we hunt regularly and a hunter was putting his 2 pointers in his car. He told us he just went through the field and there were no birds there. My uncle said we’ll give it a try any way and our dog was on point in the field when we were getting our guns out of the car, we got six birds in the field and the other guy wanted to buy our dog. Not a chance

·
Registered
13 Posts
Awesome story. Thanks for posting it.

·
Banned
42 Posts
I lost my English in December and will miss him. He waS a bird finding machine!!! The neatest thing about him is that when we got home he turned into the calmest lap dog you ever saw. Gonna miss him badly

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have always had labrador retrievers several different colors man’s best friend. good for all around hunting dog and a great pet!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts