Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
When I was growing up my father hated Turkey and we only at capons on Thanksgiving. He would go to the area butcher and order two of them usually weighed in the 8 to 10 lb range.

My son and daughter in law will be flying in for Thanksgiving from Stockholm this Thanksgiving and my daughter in law said she never actually heard of a capon before. I asked her if she likes Turkey and she said no, so I said you most likely will not like capon so I will make a steak for you. BTW, in Sweden they eat ox?

I ordered my two capons and asked the butcher how large can I get them and he said in the 8-12 lb. range. I suggested the bigger the better. Anyone on here ever eat capon before? If you did, do you like it more than Turkey?

Most kids of today do not know what a capon is and once you tell them they winch a bit.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Steve,
I haven't ever had capon but when I was in my early twenties i got sick of hearing of them. I worked in Buffalo, N. Y..
From the very first day in early winter until the end of the cold weather every day an old guy would say it was so cold he saw a chicken
with a capon (cape on ). He thought that was the funniest joke ever.
Bud

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
My step-father was a butcher, he called capons "de-nutted roosters"

·
Premium Member
18,779 Posts
LMAO.

·
Registered
15,899 Posts
Steve,

Instead of serving cocks that don't have cocks, try Macfarlane pheasant farms in Janesville. They have great smoked pheasant. Stuff with grilled Polish sausage from Helds in Slinger. That's good living!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Capons are such a nice moist meat because of the extra fat in them. If you want something else different you might consider a guineafowl as well. We had them on our farm as watch dogs. No car could come up the lane after dark without them raising all kinds of hell. We would kill a few from time to time. Served with a thin slick dumpling they were very good.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Remdog 1187:
Sounds good.
Steve

jfoh:
I heard of guineafowl. I was watching a movie and the people eating it were in England.
Steve

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hello:
When I was growing up my father hated Turkey and we only at capons on Thanksgiving. He would go to the area butcher and order two of them usually weighed in the 8 to 10 lb range.

My son and daughter in law will be flying in for Thanksgiving from Stockholm this Thanksgiving and my daughter in law said she never actually heard of a capon before. I asked her if she likes Turkey and she said no, so I said you most likely will not like capon so I will make a steak for you. BTW, in Sweden they eat ox?

I ordered my two capons and asked the butcher how large can I get them and he said in the 8-12 lb. range. I suggested the bigger the better. Anyone on here ever eat capon before? If you did, do you like it more than Turkey?

Most kids of today do not know what a capon is and once you tell them they winch a bit.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin
Before I moved in 1987, we used to buy capon's from a Mennonite family a couple times a year. Were very tasty and I thought they tasted like a chicken only quite a bit larger. As I recall, we did them much the same as a turkey as far as preparation.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
Have had a few when i was younger, tasted like chicken to me

But for quite a while I hated turkey, when I was a kid Dad would get 250,000 poult turkeys and we would raise them up to range, 5-6 lbs size in 3 120x720 foot sheds, he would sell all but about 80,000 and we would raise them "free Range" before free range was good.

Some of the Toms would get huge, 40-60 lbs live weight and when we were loading them they would get stressed and have heart attacks or strokes. We had a corn knife when loading and whack off their heads, so after getting the $hit clawed and beat out of you when loading 10-15,000 of them, we got to clean turkeys.

After my older Bros went to college, I went on strike, so Mom talked to one of the neighbor ladies and she would take 5 and bring back 3 cleaned birds, I quit hating them so much then, but we did eat a lot of turkey

Reactions: JACK
1 - 20 of 39 Posts