Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attention shooters - a good buddy of mine has developed a flinch shooting a release trigger.....WHAT are his next options? What ideas have you got??

thanks - Kurt

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
He might not have a good visual lock on the target.It sometimes happens when you move the gun before you see the target and the gun blocks the view of the target.I think it would be called a panic flinch.I am no instructor,just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Occasionally I will flinch shooting a release. My wife developed a flinch and this is what I did to help her overcome it. We went to shooting soft 1 oz loads and lots of dry firing on a wall chart. The one oz loads break targets fine for singles and mid handicap. A friend of mine started using them for Annie's from the 27 and he wins his fair share. The reduced recoil and report seemed to help both of us. It may not work for your friend, but it helped her. I hope he gets over it. Flinching is a terrible feeling.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Sometimes when I hold the forearm to tight, I will flinch. If I just lay it in my hand, no flinch.

Not saying it will cure him, just tossing out an idea, and hoping it may work.

Good luck to your buddy.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Is he flinching when he sets the trigger or when he shoots at the target. If it is a trigger set flinch many guns will let you set the trigger before you close the action. Let the anti release trigger folks flame away on that.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Is he flinching when he sets the trigger or when he shoots at the target. If it is a trigger set flinch many guns will let you set the trigger before you close the action. Let the anti release trigger folks flame away on that.
Get a good and I mean good eye exam--I would flinch with a release, because I could not focus on the target

Phil Berkowitz

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Left angle flinches for right handed release shooters are not uncommon and usually go away or are very sporadic. Too slow a release will encourage flinching as will eye dominance issues. If it's a flinch on a straightaway from 4 or 5 post it's likely an eye dominance issue!!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I don' know........ I have wondered all these same things my own self. Maybe it is time for your pal to find someone to play checkers with in the main city park, downtown under the shade of the old oak tree. I do truly hope that is not the case. But, if it is, he may as well toughen up his ol' hide and face facts about getting older........

What kind of guns might he be selling? (HAW-HAW! That was just a joke, likely taken by most in poor taste, but it really wasn't meant to be anymore than a light-hearted joke.)

Seriously...... I hope your friend can find a "cure" to put off his old age a little longer. But, sooner or later.......... we are all going to have to face facts:

"I don't think any of us are getting out of this alive....."

M.D.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
He is flinching because he knows the gun is going to go bang and kick him. Its a mental game. Have him try some 7/8 ounce loads of 8`s or 7 1/2`s.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I had a world class flinch with both pull and release triggers. Took a clinic from Phil Kiner who said you are not holding onto your gun it making one with you. You must! pull the stock firmly into your shoulder hold on tight to your grip and firmly to your forearm locking in your gun. The only time I flinch now with my pull trigger is when I get lazy and relax any part of my firm mount.

Phil's a good guy I'm sure if you e-mailed him he would respond with a helpful overview of your problem.

Surfer

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
'Left angle flinches for right handed release shooters are not uncommon and usually go away or are very sporadic.'

Yes, I am left handed and have occasional problems with hard rights. I think some region of the mind has a fear that the target is getting away and results in a spasm in the nervous system and I lose control. There is probably a medical term for it. At it's worst, it hits me like a 480 volt blast in a copper tub, racks my whole body. Sometimes very mild and I still break the target. I don't use a release trigger.

"He is flinching because he knows the gun is going to go bang and kick him. Its a mental game."

Oh, hit me again.

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
If I understand the ATA rules book, It defines exactly what a failure to fire is. Does it anywhere call it a flinch? a Flinch is different. Until you come to terms with that, dealing with it, is futile.
So, a failure to fire may not be a flinch, but a flinch is most definitely a failure to fire? That makes sense.

GneJ

·
Banned
1,205 Posts
So, a failure to fire may not be a flinch, but a flinch is most definitely a failure to fire? That makes sense.

GneJ

FTF was intended to be and was for equipment failure, not human failure. Though the current liberal interpretation includes human failure. I disagree, but that is the state of affairs the game is in. "for any reason other than stated in Paragraph C.,2.".

Shoot well.

John

·
Banned
1,205 Posts
Excerpts from

Trapshooting

The Patriotic Sport

D.H. Eaton

TRAPSHOOTING RULES

OF

The American Trapshooting Association
Revised 1919

Rule 11.—Lost Target.
Except in the cases otherwise provided in these
rules, the Referee shall declare the target "lost,"
respectively:
(a) When the contestant fails to break the target.
(b) When the contestant fails to shoot because
his gun was unloaded or uncocked, or because the
safety was faultily adjusted or jarred back, whether
from his own oversight or not; or because of any
other cause chargeable to his own oversight or neg
lect. (See Rule 14.)
(c) If the contestant has a misfire, or apparent
misfire, he, without removing the c artrijge or
cartridges, shall forthwith hand his gun, without
opening it, to the Referee for hisr decision, otherwise
the Referee may declare it a "lost target."

Rule 12—No Target.
(c) When there is a misfire caused by the contestant's gun, or a misfire of the cartridge (except as
provided in Rule 11 , and Rule 14 [c]).

Rule 14- Guns and loads.

(c) A reloaded cartridge, or a gun or cartridge
after it has once misfired in the competition. The
contestant must thereafter abide by the result if he
uses such. (See Rule 11 [&].)

Shoot well.

John

1 - 20 of 33 Posts