Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok a friend has asked me to sell his Y model 12. However I don't know how to tell if its a trap model. And I need a approximate value. The gun is in very good condition with only slight wear on the mag tube. the wood is very good with sharp checkering. straight comb, and the barrel is 30in full with a mid bead. I would rate the gun as 95% and its a 1972 or 73 manufact. date.

I see three y models on gunbroker with high prices for the condition but no bids. So what are y models bringing in 95% and how do I know if its a trap(from what I read early y models were not marked trap.) My friend never shot it, but I did today and ran the first four stations on doubles.
Thanks in advance
Jeff

·
Registered
557 Posts
338, doesnt have to be marked trap to be a trap gun. If it doesnt have a rib, its a field gun for sure. But guessing it does. The mid bead makes me believe its not a field gun . Most m12s shoot a lil flat anyways. Rib or no rib. There are pre 64 guns marked as trap that have field stocks. A monte carlo stock was offered to get them to have higher poi and thus used for trap. The beauty of a m12 is how well it points so its utility is for both makes Iit a great gun .Field or trap. Its a great gun for those who like to cover the bird . I set mine up to shoot a lil uphill. Jmo

Value= $750 to $900 if its truly 95% But most folks prefer the pre 64s as info. Some may scoff at that price range but its the idea of finding the right buyer. In todays climate, everyone is looking for a deal. But unless your friend needs the $$ take your time. If he needs to move it, $600 would get it moved.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Here is a pic sorry about quality had to use computer camera. 30 inch full choke vent rib. Winchester red recoil pad.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It is my understanding that all trap y models also had an x in the serial number. Either xy201xxxx, or y201xxxx,x. Or something along those lines. Wes

·
Registered
849 Posts
That is a early Y model. The first ones have the nicer checkering, on the grip area. The early ones had better wood and finish as well. Should have a Y prefix starting around 2,000,000. Its hard to get real good money out of these, some guys don't trust them, plus the rib has a allen screw that sometimes works its way out, especially if you shoot games with them. Some shot a little higher too.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has Y prefix in serial # and dates 72 or 73. It shoots a little high. I really like the gun but don't know if I want to spend the money for it. My friend wants $650. I have a couple guns that some friends have their eyes on. Maybe sell one and add this to my collection

Jeff

·
Registered
613 Posts
Duck Bill rib, 30 in full, it is a Y model Trap. It is also 40 yr.s old. They were not popular for of all things, the receiver was an investment casting, as opposed to early M12 receivers being machined from a solid block of steel.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Just in is one super Y-Model 12 MC Trap with an Allem release trigger. Looks new. $1,099 plus $25 shipping. Pics available to interested parties!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts