Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't shot my deer rifle in 8 years. I built it almost 37 years ago on an old P17 Enfield action. I had the barrel cut back to 22 inches, had a semi-custom stock made for it and installed a high speed striker and a Timnny trigger. I set the pull at 3 lbs with zero back lash and zero creep. Man that gun would shoot. $7 grains of IMR4895, a 150 grain Hornady boat tail and a CCI large rifle primer and it would shoot 1 ragged hole at 100 yrds with 5 round groups. For the last 8 years I've shot mostly shot guns and cheap 22s along with an occasional Sharps or Trapdoor thrown in. Well, today I dragged out three old friends and got reacquainted. First is a beautiful Browning M52 in 32-20. I've got a Marbel's peep on it and with Hornady 100 bullets and 9.5 grains of 2400 it shoots very well. The trigger is nice but not ideal. It's a tad heavy with slight creep. Still, it's way better than any of the Gamo air rifles I've been shooting and a lot better than any of my shotguns. Next I have a Garand that the Fulton Armory rebuilt for me back in 2005. It has a match barrel, laminate stock, match trigger and NM sights. It's a real shooter with 1.5 inch groups pretty standard. Still, the trigger is two stage and lets off at 4 lbs. Good, but not great. Then there's my Enfield. I had forgotten the sweat pleasure in having a trigger that breaks without creep or over travel. Just line up that old Weaver K4, start my squeeze and bang! The bullet zips down range. What a joy!

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
Just a suggestion. There's a solution for your Gamo's lousy trigger. Used to be around $35 and pretty much a drop-in. Worth every penny(more than the gun is sometimes;)). Found out about it years ago, right here.

http://charliedatuna.com/

Bob Falfa

1 - 2 of 2 Posts