Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday, which was warm and humid, in an ATA shoot, on the first shot of my last post in 27 yard handicap, the recoil deposited a tiny drop of sweat on my right lens just below where I looked through. I shoot with my left lens taped so I am looking right down the rib with my right eye.

I didn't notice the drop until I mounted the gun for my 2nd shot. However, as I could see over the drop I didn't want to stop the squad on our last post to clean it off. As I set up for the shot, I realized that if I lifted my head, even slightly, the drop would obscure my vision. I hit the last 4 shots using the drop to make sure that I kept my head on the gun to see the target.

Having never thought about this before, it would seem that obscuring your lens just below your line of vision would have the effect of "helping" keep your head on the stock. The drop of sweat was only about the size of a dot made by a sharpie marker but it was perfectly placed by pure chance.

For fun, the next time I go to the club to practice I am going to put a sharpie dot on my lens in that same spot and shoot a round. Perhaps others would like to join me in this experiment and report back your findings.

I have never heard of anyone obscuring their lens to preclude their raising their head. Has anyone else ever run across this?

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Charlie!!! I can see from the picture that your gun is closed and its not pointed downrange in a safe direction. This is a dangerous situation, even if your trigger finger is not inside the trigger guard!!! Maybe if you took all that cr$p off your shooting lenses you'd see what I'm talking about. Stay safe and break em all Jeff

PS Looks like a nice club.

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,589 Posts
So the drop on the lense closest to the gun, in relation to everthing else you are seeing, whatever you are seeing as you are set up for the shot, must not move. Thats when you know you are holding your face steady against the gun. Right?

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,589 Posts
Wait, when I lift my head, it's usually after the call, so in that case, you can tell you aren't lifting your head because the dot doesn't move in relation to the gun. You should be moving the gun and your face following. Have I got you? In that case, I can relate because I use a dot in my scope all the time. I shoot that EoTech on an 870. I think I'll give this a try too. I'll line up the dot with the dot on the scope when I put the dot on my lens.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To get the idea, just hold your finger across the middle of your glasses and look at something. Now raise your head and your finger blocks your vision. But, to get the same effect you just need a little mark on your lens.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If your going to try this, I wouldn't use a sharpie....they are permanent marker. I would use more like a dry erase marker. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Well there really only one way to keep your head on the stock and it takes practice practice practice and it is if your right hand and opposite if your left handed is to make your face move the gun to the right and the gun move your face to the left just try that and you will see how hard it it but you already do it just part time. If you learn how to do that you will have solves the thing that cause the most missed targets in trapshooting

·
Registered
545 Posts
Wonder if this could cause a cross fire by having your left eye take over if the dot starts obscuring your rt eye? Speaking of rt eyed shooters.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts