Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Some may know, my kids and I are new to trap shooting as of this year. Last year at this time we hadn't even heard of the Grand and now we're talking about attending it next year. :) My son asked me if we could shoot in it. I had no answer other than, "I'm not sure." So,

Can any Joe shoot in it?
What does it take to be able to shoot there?
For those who have shot there or just been there, was it worth it?

My work schedule is such that I'd have to request the time now to be able to go in '17. Thanks for your help and patience with this greenhorn ;-)

Alex

·
Registered
11,397 Posts
I'm going for my first time but I can help with a couple of these.

Can any Joe shoot in it? Yes, any ATA member can shoot the Grand.

What does it take to be able to shoot there? In simplest terms, money. If you are traveling to the Grand, finding nearby accommodation at this time may be difficult.

Tim

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Yes, anyone can shoot the Grand. You can even join the ATA on the day of your entry however if you do so you will be penalized in both class and yardage. If you plan on attending next year, join the ATA now and start shooting registered targets in order to acrue enough targets to avoid penalties. If you download the program, it will tell you haw many you need. Remember that you don't have to shoot the whole thing. Pick your events and take off enough time to visit all of the vendors.
ENJOY YOURSELF
Ed Yanchok

·
Registered
722 Posts
we went for the first time last year.

didn't have any trouble squading for day first thing in morning, got stuck on squad #425 once

there are folks of all ability shooting, doesn't take anything special

we stayed in RV on grounds so it was fairly cheap - yes it is worth it, the spectacle of just being at the Grand was awesome, vendors, people from all over the world, seeing old friends and making new ones was tremendous. Wife who doesn’t shoot even had fun. For a change – you can always go to the sporting clays course – it is also very nice.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Attending the Grand is awesome -- the experience is worth every penny (especially if you can go with your kids). There are 2 dangers:

1. There's so much "stuff" there, you are going to spend more money than you thought you would...
2. After you get a taste you will want to go every year.

I would encourage you to shoot while you're there, even if you have a penalty classification. The first time I went to the Grand I didn't plan to shoot, but I ended up entering a few events once I got caught up in the experience -- watching everyone else shoot was more fun than I thought it would be, but actually participating is still way better. I would also recommend that you stick around for the shoot-offs one night, even if you're not lucky enough to be in one. Fun to watch, and you'll pretty much see all of the big dogs there.

--Dan

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Hey everyone! Some may know, my kids and I are new to trap shooting as of this year. Last year at this time we hadn't even heard of the Grand and now we're talking about attending it next year. :) My son asked me if we could shoot in it. I had no answer other than, "I'm not sure." So,

Can any Joe shoot in it?
What does it take to be able to shoot there?
For those who have shot there or just been there, was it worth it?

My work schedule is such that I'd have to request the time now to be able to go in '17. Thanks for your help and patience with this greenhorn ;-)

Alex
The Grand is open to ALL ATA members who's dues are paid up. There are a few things to know but, shooting in the Grand itself is fairly simple. A few things to know . First off ,the ATA target year runs from Sept. 1st first to Aug.31 if the next year. From Sept. 1st to the time the Grand is help in early Aug. Shooters who do not have 1,000 targets in EACH discipline Singles, Handicap, and Doubles, Will have to shoot penalty class and yardage in each. -- Also New Factory shells are required for all HANDICAP events at the Grand ( in singles and doubles you may legal ATA approved reloads). If you are not an ILL. resident, have an ILL. hunting Lisc., or live in a "direct neighboring state", you cannot buy ammo locally at stores such as Wal Mart. You will have to bring your ammo with you or buy it ON the ATA grounds at the Shell house. ILL. Law. ---Only 12 and 20 Ga. guns are allowed in ATA Registered events at the Grand. Other than that , shooting there is not that much different than any other ATA event, except for the shear massiveness of the place! It is hard to imagine a three and a half mile trap line until you actually SEE it! There are options available IF you want to "pay the money" but none are mandatory. There are a couple of extra "Non Registered" events like the special 28 Ga. event and "special" 20 Ga. event and the FREE Nostalgia shoot for all Win. Model 12s Ithaca Single Barrels and Win. Model 21s (that you can shoot in if you own one of these and can shoot a qualifying score in the qualification round). If you are a Trap Shooter the Grand is THE PLACE TO BE in Aug. ! A couple side notes,-- there is plenty of shooting related items to shop for and there is a LARGE vendor presence so reserve some time to do some shopping. Reloading Components are for sale there at very reasonable prices and many people stock up for the year while they are there. One last thing to consider Lodging is " scarce" locally and if you do not want to travel some distance from your motel make your lodging reservations EARLY! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
100 Posts
WARNING!!! The Grand is very addictive!!

My son and I went for the 1st time 5 years ago. Been going every year since. He has said many times if he could only shoot one shoot a year it would be the Grand.

·
2,747 Posts
And, don't forget about the Peach ice cream (east end of the tent vendors). Very tasty. They used to (missed last couple of years so not sure if they still do) give you a card. Buy an ice cream, get the card punched. Card gets filled with punches, you get a free ice cream.

I was known as the fastest card filler, bringing a filled card back every other day. Did I mention how good the peach ice cream is?

Bob

·
Registered
131 Posts
I went for my first time last year. I second all the comments made above. The experience is simply awesome. If there is something made for trapshooting or shotgun shooting in general there is someone there selling it. My shooting buddy and I spent a whole day shopping last year. It's incredibly well run. Once you learn how the bank system works and how to determine when it's your time to shoot you'll appreciate the efficiency of the shooting. That takes someone about 5 minutes if you haven't ever shot in banks. Getting classified, squadding and paying is really well done too. Best to presquad if you can. There's two pieces of the Grand also. Wednesday through Sunday is Preliminary shoots. I have friends that only shoot that week. There are fewer people shooting but still a very large number. From Monday through the next Saturday, it's Grand week and I have friends that only shoot that week. Lots more shooters. For the championship events on Friday and Saturday, there were right around 2000 shooters. I was worried when I went I wasn't good enough of a shooter but there is every level shooting and I saw my worry was for nothing. You won't regret going one bit.

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
This thread's worthless without pictures.

Peach and strawberry (with blackberry cobbler underneath).

Trust me.

Always get the cobbler.

The thing about the ice cream is it's made on site in an old ice cream churn.

Can't get any fresher than that.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
You can go for one day or for the whole thing. If you want to see vendors, most of them start leaving on the Friday of Grand week. Most are there for he first weekend and the most of grand week.

And definitely do the peach ice cream.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Yes, they still punch cards at the ice cream stand & that stuff is great. The Grand can be very addicting as mentioned. My first to attend was 1993. Had to drive to those quite a distance but now I live a 30 minute drive from the complex so I get there a lot. ( and spend wayyy tooo much money on toys). I'm not shooting the Grand but will be watching my buds compete this year. I can also occasionally be found at the beer tent. Colonel

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is that a good place (read good pricing) to pick up the "for real" trap gun that I'm hoping to have enough pennies saved up for? It'd be a whole different topic of conversation but sufficeth to say here that I'm thinking of either a Kolar, DT11, or Perazzi... along those lines. Nobody carries them remotely close to my hometown.

Alex

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Read the program, there is almost as much to do after the registered shooting is over as there is during the day. Each evening there is some special event happening, which makes it nice to be sleeping close by.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Word of advice. If you're going to shoot, make sure you know when and where your squad is supposed to shoot.
Get there well ahead of time. Be sure you have enough shells, which is 5 boxes, because if you shoot at a few broken
birds or have to reshoot a couple, you need more than 100 shells. Know the shooting commands, when you move
from station to station, and learn the rules regarding gun malfunctions, illegal targets, failure to fire, etc. In other words,
the Grand is not a place to learn as you go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts