Trapshooters Forum banner

A club gone

2966 Views 23 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  mngundog
I just heard that a little two trap club in my state has been given its marching orders. They’ve been handshake tenants of the farmer owner since 1947, but the grandson wants them gone.
they have until Christmas

It holds special memories for me as I won my first overall there exactly 4 years ago this Sunday I was a C grader at the time and I loved every second of it.
I’m trying to have them amalgamate with a larger club that is going through some generational committee change. Hope it happens.
😞
Reactions: Island Patches
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
36,928 Posts
No squatter’s rights through adverse possession ? After that long of a time some some lawyer in this country might make a claim for a club that would prevent the son from booting the club. Law varies by State here.

· Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No squatter’s rights through adverse possession ? After that long of a time some some lawyer in this country might make a claim for a club that would prevent the son from booting the club. Law varies by State here.
No. Indefeasability of title means an unregistered interest down here doesn’t have any legal standing. They aren’t squatters because that requires adverse possession, and the club was there with permission.
If there was any chance I’d do it free, but there isn’t.

· Registered
2,506 Posts
No. Indefeasability of title means an unregistered interest down here doesn’t have any legal standing. They aren’t squatters because that requires adverse possession, and the club was there with permission.
If there was any chance I’d do it free, but there isn’t.
What legal protections do gun clubs have down under?
It would be ironic if
After they get kicked off someone filed a lead contamination claim against the property owner.
Barrister and cleanup costs would intresting....

· Registered
1,301 Posts
Yup this happens all to often, handshake agreement and the kids now own the land, the handshake is no longer valid, guns and gun clubs are not politically correct anymore, the neighbors hate the noise and all to often the shot falls on land where there was no agreement, shut it down, move on and clean up the lead

· Registered
3,193 Posts
That cluster-mess happened in Washington MO. Landowner said get out, club was a corporation, someone mentioned lead in the trees, brush, swampy bottom......EPA said clean it up....corporation was disbanded, landowner said "oh, $hit" !!!!! Still in litigation, unsettled.......at least, none of the club members were hurt..... Be careful what you ask for.....m

· Registered
989 Posts
Aussie: sorry to hear this. What are the chances that the members could purchase the land from the kids? May be a win/win, you guys get to shoot and they get some money. Maybe some sort of rental? Like 99 year rental.

I like the topic of clean up costs that may make someone think twice because for sure thatll cost a pretty penny

· Registered
36,928 Posts
Might have been a different story if the club paid the owner a dollar a year.

· Registered
237 Posts
Bummer for sure, but remember even if you own the land that is not always a sure bet either to staying open. You still may need a conditional use permit from the local government. Also, if you are on the board, make the the D&O insurance is paid.

· Premium Member
8,030 Posts
I just heard that a little two trap club in my state has been given its marching orders. They’ve been handshake tenants of the farmer owner since 1947, but the grandson wants them gone.
they have until Christmas

It holds special memories for me as I won my first overall there exactly 4 years ago this Sunday I was a C grader at the time and I loved every second of it.
I’m trying to have them amalgamate with a larger club that is going through some generational committee change. Hope it happens.
😞
Sad news

· Registered
79 Posts
Even if you do own the land you aren't safe ... e.g. the saga of the Spokane Gun Club's sale under duress when a school district decided to exercise eminent domain authority ... to be followed by a long contentious expensive and as yet unresolved attempt to obtain the necessary permits to open at a new location (problems that apparently even the $7.5 million revenue from the sale can't easily resolve).

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Sad to see closings, the days of a man's word and a hand shake , for the post part are long gone in this country. Remember growing up in my area , you never locked your doors and my parents never knew how many kids would be at the dinner table or how many would be camped on the living room floor come morning. It was great fun to be young in those days and parents never worried if they didn't see their kids for a day or two.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.