Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went from an old worn out bt-99 comp to a brand new bt-99 plus. I have never had the flinch's before that I knew of until now. I guess when I had a dead shell I would notice a flinch. But now with the new gun I flinch so hard when pulling the trigger sometimes the gun doesn't even go off. And it very visible to see even when the I flinch and the gun does happen to go off. Has this ever happened to anyone? Does it have to do with the new trigger? The new gun fits great and Im never sore. Im lost. any shared experiences would be great.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
You can try and figure out what has changed with the move between the 2 guns.
Is the Trigger pull much different?
Are you sure the new gun fits?
What about POI is it similar?

Have you tried shooting the old gun any issue?

West

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Does it have to do with the new trigger?

Most certainly. When Dan Lammers was in Phoenix, he tuned the locks of my L.C. Smith. Crisp triggers are a thing of awe and wonder, but ruined any attempt to use a non-tuned trigger on a double gun.
Interestingly, so far I'm having no problem using a 870 TB by (as recommended by Jim) "slapping" the slightly mushy trigger! I know Bro. Kiner favors a heavier trigger pull to prevent flinching, I assume with slapping.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fit is the same, poi is the same. The new trigger is stiffer. Its like I go to pull the trigger and the gun doesn't go off and I flinch.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
fit is the same, poi is the same. The new trigger is stiffer. Its like I go to pull the trigger and the gun doesn't go off and I flinch.
Sounds like problem is either too much slop in trigger or pull is harder than what you are used to. Muscle memory can take over on hard trigger and you not pull it. Flinch. I have this problem going back and forth between my Brownings( 5lb. 6 oz ave.) and my Perazzis (2lb. 8 oz ave.) Had 1 Browning adjusted to 3 lb. 4 oz and have no problem with this one. Will have my other Brownings set to this when get back to Grand Junction next year for state shoot. (hopefully.).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like problem is either too much slop in trigger or pull is harder than what you are used to. Muscle memory can take over on hard trigger and you not pull it. Flinch. I have this problem going back and forth between my Brownings( 5lb. 6 oz ave.) and my Perazzis (2lb. 8 oz ave.) Had 1 Browning adjusted to 3 lb. 4 oz and have no problem with this one. Will have my other Brownings set to this when get back to Grand Junction next year for state shoot. (hopefully.).
The old gun I shot for 18 years, only between 500-1000 targets a year. I was just a league shooter then. same pin and springs the whole time. . I've shot around 2500 rounds since the 1st of the year with the new gun. do you think I'm just used to soft trigger? Do you think I'm developing a flinch due to much more shooting? I've thought about a trigger job and going to the release. I tried a release before. It was just a "honey moon" but I could see it working out.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The old gun I shot for 18 years, only between 500-1000 targets a year. I was just a league shooter then. same pin and springs the whole time. . I've shot around 2500 rounds since the 1st of the year with the new gun. do you think I'm just used to soft trigger? Do you think I'm developing a flinch due to much more shooting? I've thought about a trigger job and going to the release. I tried a release before. It was just a "honey moon" but I could see it working out.
Many different possibilities. A harder trigger pull can be a very definite problem. Might try "slapping" the trigger. I do this. Shooting heavier loads can help cause this. Not think more shooting a factor if more shooting not bothering you to do. Release as a last resort. I not think you have shot enough to consider this at this time. I totally cannot shoot a release as am a "slapper". TRY LIGHTER LOADS STARTING WITH YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER AND SLAPPING IT (pardon shout, accidentally hit cap key.) I do this. Tried release and doubled the flinch in me. Gud Luk whatever you decide.

·
Registered
830 Posts
You said the new gun had a harder trigger pull. That should tell you all you have to know. Lyman digital trigger pull gauges aren't that much. Get one or have someone test the two guns and set the new one the same as the old one. I have about 15 old SxSs and one had a heavy trigger pull. Like you I'd pull it and it didn't want t9o go off. I just got too use to a lighter trigger pull. I honed it down and now everything is fine.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I got a Lyman gage. Old bt-99 averages 2lbs 6oz. The new bt-99 averages 4lbs 10oz. I'd say that's a big difference and the old bt seems low. What's a common trigger pull for trap guns? Btw my new citori cx averages 3lbs 9oz.

Reactions: BMWBOB

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
sacky, before your last post I was going to say that something has changed. Indeed it has. I actually like a 4 lb. trigger. That has nothing to do with you, however. You are flinching becuase your subconscious computer thought the shot should have gone off, knows you are not on target for a retry and says no. Having experienced exactly the same thing, I wil tell you it WILL go away. That being said, I'd have the trigger pull adjusted to something that suits you better.

After years of shooting 3 lb. triggers and having to have them redone often, I switched. Kerry Allor said that his 4 lb. first, 4.5 lb. second trigger job would last 15,000 before needing to be tweaked. It actually went much longer than that.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,200 Posts
You need your Mother or a Drill Sargent to bitch slap you in the back of the head whenever you flinch.
Cheaper and easier that a release trigger.
I know trying to be funny, but I’m thinking this is likely to have the opposite of the intended effect.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,200 Posts
So I got a Lyman gage. Old bt-99 averages 2lbs 6oz. The new bt-99 averages 4lbs 10oz. I'd say that's a big difference and the old bt seems low. What's a common trigger pull for trap guns? Btw my new citori cx averages 3lbs 9oz.
It’s all personal preference. I tend to shoot a very light trigger like jasonuhl (and you apparently). When I switch to by beretta for sporting clays, I occasionally get the flinch.

Most are between 3-4 lbs, with the lower end more common. My perazzi is 2.75 and 3.8, but Don Rackley just resect the second to 3.2.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts