Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the sport and recently bought an 870TB for a starter gun. I've been trying to look up information on the barrel, but I'm confused because there are three marks on it. The first is the REP proof mark, the second is an E with a circle around it, and the third is a KN with a rectangle around that. The barrel is also marked TARGET and has a star on it.

I'm just trying to figure out what barrel this is...is it a TB barrel, a TC barrel or neither? It's thirty inches long and accepts choke tubes. I'm not sure if it came that way or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chase

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have an older TB & TC and neither barrel is marked as to which grade it is so I can only assume they are the same. The stock on my TC is marked with the serial number the TB is not.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I think you might be right that the TB & TC barrels are the same, but like ljutic73 said I think they are upgraded trap barrels. I have read in a few different places that the barrels marked TARGET are also supposed to be back-bored. Goony, are your TB & TC barrels marked TARGET? Thanks again.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
If they say "Target" on them, they have been meticulously caressed.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I think you might be right that the TB & TC barrels are the same, but like ljutic73 said I think they are upgraded trap barrels. I have read in a few different places that the barrels marked TARGET are also supposed to be back-bored. Goony, are your TB & TC barrels marked TARGET? Thanks again.
I heard somewhere (this site maybe) that Remington would set aside their straightest, most concentric 870 and 100 barrels for installation on their trap guns. I know both my 870's (a 70's vintage TA and a Comp. will murder targets at 27 yards as well as my Ljutic.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've shot an 870 Wingmaster for 30+ years and I've shot the field model, TB, TC, Competition and Classic Trap and as far as I can tell ALL the barrels made in the 1940s thru the 80s were great barrels, I shot my first 25 strait at 16 with my 870 field model. I'm not just talking about the 30"full barrels, the 28" modifieds throw a tight pattern too. I've seen more than 1 guy and gal hit 25 strait from 16 and 27 yard line using a built up 870 with a modified barrel.

·
Registered
409 Posts
No both of mine are older. One is from 1966 and the other from 1971. The older R-P catalogs show the only differences are the upgraded wood and hand checkering for the TC and a target grade hammer, sear and trigger assembly. In the 1971 catalog it lists the TB as the economy model of the TC with less fancy wood and impressed checkering. All other aspects are the same.

I shot my first 100 straight from the 16 yd line with the 1966 TC and 7/8 ounce loads of 7 1/2 shot. Both are 30" full barrels. I put together a Model 58 and installed a 30" light contour barrel with choke tubes and it shoots almost as good as the fixed choke barrels. I also have a 30" 3" chamber VR barrel with a white Bradley front sight and mid bead that was sold as an extra barrel. It is heavier than the TC & TB barrels and does not smoke targets as well either so I would have to say that extra care was taken in the selection of the target barrels vs the field barrels.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Chase

if your barrel has rem chokes in it, and marked target it is likely an newer barrel put on an older TB receiver etc.

I think all TB model guns were old school fixed choke.

That is not a bad thing though, and it is not uncommon to find 870's with different parts than they left the factory with on them.

is the barrel you have a step rib or regular rib?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies everyone. Shrek, I was thinking the same thing about it being a newer barrel, but it's marked TARGET and I thought those were older barrels. I thought maybe it could have been an older barrel that had been threaded for chokes. I don't think it is a step rib, but it is vented if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'll have to check my TB, but I'm pretty sure it's marked Target, and has choke tubes. I would not call it an "old" 870 by any means, but I would say my wood matches the age of a choke tubed barrel. Maybe late 80's?

I'll check my TB and Classic trap tonight and see what they both say.
Chris

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Chase, Have you looked up the serial #'s to see when your wingmaster firearm was made??? Then you will know what type of barrel should be on the gun. My 1980's TB Wingmaster has fixed chokes. I'm wondering if you have a newer gun, or a newer aftermarket barrel on a older model??? My old wingmaster does not say target on the barrel. It does have 2 beads and it says Remington Arms in bla bla New York and made in the USA on one side, while the other has a large star and says for 12 ga gun, and under it says for 2 3/4 in chambers only. It also has all the small proof marks and misc. stamps the factory did that I have no idea of there meanings. The reason I ask is that I thought that all the TB's had fixed choked barrels from the factory!!! I'm no wingmaster guru though, so I'm not sure. When your bolt is closed is it chrome or blued steel??? The older one's have a chromed locking bolt (maybe polished stainless steel) that you see in the ejection port on the right side. All of the chromed bolts had fixed chokes as far as I know. Good Luck shooting your new gun in any case. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
423 Posts
Shows what I know about my guns....

I have a TC-Trap, step rib, fixed full choke marked Target. Could have sworn it was a TB.

Great, now I need to go buy a TB.

Chris

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. Shrek, I was thinking the same thing about it being a newer barrel, but it's marked TARGET and I thought those were older barrels. I thought maybe it could have been an older barrel that had been threaded for chokes. I don't think it is a step rib, but it is vented if that makes any sense.
there are newer factory choke tubed barrels, at least newer than tb vintage guns that are market target on them

I never, not that they do not exist, saw a true tb with original barrel with factory choke tube. now if the barrel you have uses thin wall choked tubes then it might be original that had aftermarket choke tubes put in it.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Shows what I know about my guns....

I have a TC-Trap, step rib, fixed full choke marked Target. Could have sworn it was a TB.

Great, now I need to go buy a TB.

Chris
that is one of the finest target smoking barrels ever made

good for you

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the sport and recently bought an 870TB for a starter gun. I've been trying to look up information on the barrel, but I'm confused because there are three marks on it. The first is the REP proof mark, the second is an E with a circle around it, and the third is a KN with a rectangle around that. The barrel is also marked TARGET and has a star on it.

I'm just trying to figure out what barrel this is...is it a TB barrel, a TC barrel or neither? It's thirty inches long and accepts choke tubes. I'm not sure if it came that way or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chase
I have two 870 TBs. Both are fixed choke barrels, one modified and one full. If the barrels are inside measured you will find that the barrel taper is much longer than on the newer barrels. Both shoot well and can smoke the targets when the shooter does his part. These 870s are of the late 70s and early 80s vintage.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I bought a new 30" fixed modified 870 trap barrel directly from Remington in the early 1980's. The factory box it was shipped in was marked "870 TB/TC 30"" modified choke". It shoots very well and with 1 1/8 - 8 - 1145 fps load will smoke anything at 16 yards. That barrel plus the 30" fixed full that came on my 1980 870 TA are great barrels.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hi Everyone,

The barrel is also marked TARGET and has a star on it.

I have been shooting Remington target 870's and 1100's starting in 1977. I have owned all action types and other brands but keep coming back to my Remingtons.

I still have my 870TB that I bought new in Dec. 1976, still shoot it, too.

My 870TB has a date code on the barrel corresponding to Sept. 1976 manufacture, it is a fixed full, 30", with a Bradley front and silver mid bead, it does not carry a "Target" stamp. I know this is the original barrel because I got to cut the factory seal on the box at the shop where I ordered it.

My 1994 vintage 870TC has the 30" step rib barrel with with a Bradley front and silver mid bead, and is fitted with Remchokes, it is marked "Target".

Here is a link to Remington date codes;

Manufacture Dates – Remington Society of America

This shows what the two letters stamped on the left side of the barrel at the breech end mean.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts