Trapshooters Forum banner

870 Triger Question

1198 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Ahab
I am thinking about upgrading the factory trigger on my Rem 870. If any one has any advise on good afftermarket replacments or upgrades for the origanal I would appreciate the help. The gun is used primaraly for trap and slug hunting so a slightly lighter pull would be nice.

Luke
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
10,122 Posts
Consider just purchasing a different trigger spring with a lighter pull, rather than a whole different trigger. With that being said, Timney triggers that I have had are good in my opinion.
Steve Balistreri

· Registered
11,024 Posts
The Remington trigger that came with the gun is a very good trigger and easy to work on. The trigger coil spring can be changed to get a lighter pull. Then the hammer notch and sear can be cleaned up with a fine stone to get a smooth pull. And last but not least the depth of the hammer notch can be reduced with a stone in order to get rid of any trigger creep. The only problem is finding a gunsmith who knows how to do these operations. HMB

· Registered
963 Posts
Someone came out with a new trigger kit for the 870s.

I think it was timmney? The kit took out the creep and changed the spring for lighter pull, I think it was 150 bucks.

Somebody will pipe in a and tell you what I am talking about.

Nick

· Registered
151 Posts
Timney makes a replacement sear kit. The kit includes three springs of different pull weights and the sear is also adjustable. Kit is $90 and is available from both Timney and Midway. Installation is pretty easy, did it myself on my 870 Comp.

· Registered
964 Posts
You can just pull the trigger out of the gun and cut a coil or two off of the hammer spring and lighten the trigger. Don't go over board with it. Just clip a little at a time and try it each time you clip. You will feel it getting lighter.

· Registered
4,410 Posts
Years ago I won a 870 in a raffle. It had a terrible,"lawyer proof" trigger ... felt like it was 15 pounds.

Since Timney lived 5 miles away ... it took it to him.

He asked if I knew how to take the trigger group out and replace springs, I said "Of course I do."

He said "YOU GOT $3?"

I said yes and he said "I'll be right back."

He came back with a little plastic bag with 10 different springs in it, and said "Replace the trigger return spring with the one that feels good to you."

Problem solved!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.