Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a local gun show today and on one vendors table was a like new early 90's 870 TC with the extended forend and fixed choke barrel, the price was not bad (680.00) so I went to shoulder the gun and to my horror someone had cut about an inch off the butt stock giving a length of pull about 13 1/2 inches. The hack job was done well it looked perfect and the rest of the gun was 95% out of 100, but just too short. If the stock hadn't been shortened I'd be telling everyone what a great deal I just got. I'm tellin ya I just can't win, I feel like Rodney Dangerfield .

·
Registered
10,364 Posts
I often see this. The sad part is a lot of sellers want to sell the gun "as is" for a premium price. I have talked a few people out of buying a gun with a altered stock. One vendor cussed me like a dog after I told one guy about a gun having a half in. bobbed off the stock and I didn't even do it in front of him, just informed the guy (who was a friend of mine) after he asked what I thought of the deal before he was going to go back there. I have bought a couple of guns and the seller put an original length stock on it for me but most won't. A lot of them don't know (or care) about stock length. They just want to make a sale.

·
Supporting Vendor
10,242 Posts
Just put on an adjustable butt plate and thick pad and you're there. But, the price is high at $680.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I hope that the fixed choke barrel is of the original over bored type. If so, it will have a step rib. This is a wonderful barrel and IMO is preferred over the adjustable choke over bored barrels. In a bidding war, IMO, this barrel could bring $350 - $400 or more.

I shoot an 870 TC Trap and I have two of the over bored choke tube barrels. It may seem strange but I use a 1980 fixed full non step rib barrel with the 870 TC Trap for ATA. I use the choke tube barrels for games and have them on an 870 TA Monte Carlo action and an 870 TB non-Monte Carlo action. I don't shoot games any more due to my eyesight but my three different 870 trap grades served me well.

·
Registered
10,364 Posts
The Over Bored 870 Barrels do seem to kick less but, for target grinding smoke ,nothing beats the old original 870 fixed choke barrels! They were amazing!

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
That stock of 13 1/2 " would have been to long for me as my LOP is 13.25". Good idea by Tron about putting on an adjustable butt plate and a thick pad.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts