Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question that's been puzzling me for a while now as I can't seem to wrap my head around it, but first let me explain my predicament & history.
I've been shooting an 870 classic trap since April (bought BNIB) & am shooting it to the present day. I've recently sold my 1100 comp. synthetic & since then have bought extended briley Rem chokes & barrel weights to better customize my 870 to fit me. (Note that I'm a left handed shooter). I shoot decent scores with it & like the way it feels. My scores vary in range from 21-24 & the odd 25 I'll surprise myself with once in a blue moon.
I'm a fairly young shooter & have only been at the game a couple years now & am happy with where I'm at. That being said, I have no flinch problems like other shooters may have. I have been bouncing back & forth the idea of buying a release trigger for the 870 to have & to try out to see if I like shooting with it.
I understand for the most part how they work. You squeeze the trigger to set it & release to fire. A SBT gun to disengage the trigger you'd break open the barrel. A semi gun you'd use your opposite hand to open the breech & that disengages the trigger.

My question is this: how do you disengage the trigger on a pump? With your finger still on the trigger, it's not possible to press the action release button by the trigger guard & pump the gun all at once.. I don't have enough hands. Am I missing something or is there an easier way to disengage the trigger without having the gun accidentally go off?

Thx,
-Ithaca

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I would say if you are a young shooter ... forget about a release trigger!

In my opinion ... they are for old codgers who have a flinch problem.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Ahab has your answer, I have a release for my 870, just keep it pointed straight UP,----- "while still holding the trigger" reach around with your other hand and hit the release lever, forend will\should drop open\ down a little. may need a little "shake". Practice this with an EMPTY gun until you have the routine down pat. Ross Puls

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahab has your answer, I have a release for my 870, just keep it pointed straight UP,----- "while still holding the trigger" reach around with your other hand and hit the release lever, forend will\should drop open\ down a little. may need a little "shake". Practice this with an EMPTY gun until you have the routine down pat. Ross Puls
I just tried it; it's a little stiff at first but it works! Thank you so much!!! Hopefully the gun won't fire with all the shaking, but the more I practice the easier it'll be.
Thank you again,
-Ithaca

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
A release trigger isnt cheap. Why not try shooting a friends release before doing mods to your gun?? I cant imagine trying to shoot doubles with a release in a pump gun....

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A release trigger isnt cheap. Why not try shooting a friends release before doing mods to your gun?? I cant imagine trying to shoot doubles with a release in a pump gun....
I have a friend who's has 2 870 traps but doesn't shoot releases; nor does anyone at my club.
If I were to ever shoot doubles I would have my pull trigger in.
I couldn't imagine it either, talk about flinch central!!!!

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
I have Timney releases for my 870 and 1100 trap guns - with all of them, if I hold the trigger back while depressing the action release button the trigger resets without any shaking and with the gun held in any position. You likely won't get a Timney release as I don't think they are made any longer but try resetting whichever brand you get with the gun empty and you'll find what works with yours.

But some words of advice from an olde phart. Back many years ago, I bought a trap gun that came with a trigger that could be switched from pull to release by turning some screws in the trigger (an old KS-5) and one night while shooting practice, I decided to try the release. After one post, I announced that anyone who would use one of those contraptions must be insane. But four years later, I started flinching with consistency and switched the gun to release. I had a 14 on my first trap with it and a 24 on my second - it's amazing what the mind can adapt to when it knows it has no other choice! In the end, I actually liked using a release over a pull trigger but I don't recommend someone like yourself using one unless a need arises.

As far as using a release at doubles, it isn't hard once you become accustomed to setting the trigger as soon as you finish the pumping cycle. It isn't as seamless as with a hinge gun but it isn't impossible either.

Ed

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
unlike some other guns where the hammer falls off the pull sear and is "caught" by the release hook the 1100 and 870 have a hook that drops into the sear to form the release mechanism. In that case when you press the release lever it lifts the hook out of the sear because the original hammer/sear relationship was never disturbed. That saying, it makes no matter if the forend moves or not. Most 1100 conversions use the 870 release hook so there is no forend to actually move and only the release hook moves.

·
Registered
10,207 Posts
You know that a good 870 gunsmith can install a lighter trigger spring in your gun. This will decrease your trigger pull down to about 3 1/2 pounds, from your current 6 pounds or so!!! Made a big difference on my wingmaster. Try this!!! and Forgetabout the release trigger!!! break em all Jeff

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
Buy a Schwab Release for your gun on this forum. They come up for sale every once in a while. Try it.

If you don't like it, put it back up for sale here and get your money back.

If I only shot clay targets and left rifles and handguns alone, I would SERIOUSLY consider going to the release.

I think a lot of folks go to the release as a crutch, either from a hard kicking gun that does not fit, or because they develop the "yips". They hit the trigger, but not hard enough to fire the gun. This causes a major loss of focus, and generally is followed by a call of LOST. Sometimes, folks shoot on timing. After the bird is in the air a certain amount of time, it is time to pull the trigger. If the barrel is not where it needs to be, there is a discombobulation (spell check bought it!) in the brain, and the trigger is YANKED.

Many times, the trigger issue raises its ugly head with the release.

One of our AIM kids started shooting Dad's trap gun, a SBT with release. He quickly became a terror with it.

I did what I suggested and used it in a 870 Comp, like a poster said, the learning curve is very short. I decided to stay with a pull trigger because at the time I trained Armed Professionals and Citizens, did not want to "set" the trigger on a handgun or Patrol Rifle in front of a class. LOL

Dubs with a release pump? Try it.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Just dug out my release, (obviously don't use it)----AveragEd & motordoc are correct don't need to move forend, but I worry that if I don't push the lever hard\far enough & it may not disengage. I KNOW that if the bolt carrier is slid back over the hammer it can't fire Just an old worry wart I guess. Ross Puls

1 - 11 of 11 Posts