Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up about 2/3s of a working 870 last year to do a PFS project for a friend in need.
Once that was over with, I started playing around with it for myself.
Finally got a stock on it that I like and a 34" trap barrel from a fellow TS member.
All I can say is for an inexpensive gun, it breaks targets with authority.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I did similar a couple years ago. Bought a new 870. Got a chance to get a Speedbump stock and recoil system for it. Then found a new old stock vent rib full choke trap barrel. Patterns better than any shotgun I can remember. Sure does well on the trap line too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have built two 870s out of parts for trap. Both began life as discarded 870 expresses that I picked up for less than $200. Added Monte Carlo stocks, full length forearms, installed improved trigger sears and springs, added trigger shoes, and replaced the extractors. Polished all the key metal to metal contact points and refinished same. Found 30 inch barrels and installed mid-beads. Found a couple of the magazine tube weights that Remington used to give a bit more swing weight to each gun.

Most of the parts were acquired in trade or were discards from folks who had no use for them.

They turned pretty well and were solid trap guns that broke clays as well as any gun I own.

Gave the first one to a young man who was just getting into trap, and my son has claimed the other.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have a '52 and a '71 870TC.... '52 flat trap stock and the '71 has an MC. The MC shoots way to high for me, prob 90% but the '52 is just a target grinder. I mean wow. There's something to those hand fitted older barrels. I always thought there was some truth and a lot of hype to it until I shot this one. Nothing wrong with an 870 on the line other than recoil, and that can be mitigated, but I'm not cutting a '52 TC stock. Guess I could swap it out.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Looks nice. Cant beat an 870 for reliability or a pump gun in general. I have an older Browning BPS that I just love. Was my first shotgun.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a '52 and a '71 870TC.... '52 flat trap stock and the '71 has an MC. The MC shoots way to high for me, prob 90% but the '52 is just a target grinder. I mean wow. There's something to those hand fitted older barrels. I always thought there was some truth and a lot of hype to it until I shot this one. Nothing wrong with an 870 on the line other than recoil, and that can be mitigated, but I'm not cutting a '52 TC stock. Guess I could swap it out.
When did they quit using the shiny shell elevator? I've got a 77 or so TC that does not have a shiny one

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
It came out looking very nice. I'm starting to get inspired to restore my fathers shotgun. It's an Excel, single barrel. From a value standpoint it's not worth much. From a sentimental standpoint, I'd like to hand it down to my son one day.

·
Registered
779 Posts
When did they quit using the shiny shell elevator? I've got a 77 or so TC that does not have a shiny one
I’m not sure but I don’t think they ever did. You may not have an original trigger group. A quick call to Remington will answer your question.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What brand of magazine cap weight does it have on it?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is a T code 74 year and it has the shiny one.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
M R Ducks is right, the 870 traps from the 50's have great chokes. I have had LOTS of 870 "projects" here. Probably the most disappointment from was trying out a Jack West stock.
IMO a total POS but some people think they are great. I had better luck with a 870 express M/C stock heavily worked over with sandpaper and bondo and then painted.
A great stock to shoot if you can find one is the stock from a 870 competition.
I have bought/sold several 70's 870TB's and still have one with a full and mod. trap barrel. One TA that I recently sold. A 52" TC, a 53" TB and I gave a nephew a like new 57' TB with really great wood. Also had a 870 competition that I should have spent more time with before selling.
Am presently working on a guy about a 870TD. It is an addiction but I can stop anytime I want. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts