Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone own or shoot these guns by chance? By this I mean the 2000 production date 870's, how's the quality, etc.. On these guns? Are they good quality for the price? I'm thinking of looking into one of these guns. Thanks in advance for replies!
-ithaca

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I don't own one of them but I do shoot an 870TC. IMO there solid and a lot of gun for the jingle. I see the gun you are referencing on gunbroker fairly often.

Reactions: Ithaca900skb

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't own one of them but I do shoot an 870TC. IMO there solid and a lot of gun for the jingle. I see the gun you are referencing on gunbroker fairly often.
Gunbroker is American prices, what do they go for on that website? The one I'm looking @ in Ontario is just over $1,100 + tax. Which I assume is average in Canada.
-ithaca

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
That seems like a lot. Not sure what the exchange rate is now. Is the gun NIB?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That seems like a lot. Not sure what the exchange rate is now. Is the gun NIB?
It's brand new in box, $1,112.03 +tx. I'm not sure of the exchange rate either, though I'm sure by the time everything is said & done, it would equal out to being the same anyway. They also have a used 870 TC for $650, but the stock has been shortened, has a crack in the stock behind the right side of the receiver, & only comes with a mod. & extra full choke. It comes with a green remington moulded case. In the description of the gun, they claim it's a classic trap... But LOL it clearly says TC trap on the receiver!!! That just shows that there's someone not that knowledgable with these guns!
-ithaca

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Is the new one a fixed full? I think the old 30 inch fixed full 870 barrels are magical!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I think you better buy it and post pics ASAP!

Reactions: Ithaca900skb

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the new one a fixed full? I think the old 30 inch fixed full 870 barrels are magical!
Negative, the new one comes with the singles, mid & long handicap chokes. It's the light contour barrel, same as the 1100 classic trap. I'm considering selling my 1100 competition (wood adjustable comb) to fund for the 870!
I'll still have my 1100 competition synthetic as my main trap gun! Thing is passport, I can only shoot one gun at a time! :p & I will post photos; that's if I decide on selling/buying & I'm successful with everything!
-ithaca

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Great minds think alike!! I shoot a 870TC at trap and a comp synthetic at everything else

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
A good friend bought one new in the early 90's for $650 and had a gracoil installed on it.
Shot many thousands of rounds through it without a glitch.
A very dependable and good shooting gun.

No survivors
Bill

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I shoot older 870's, 1100's and 11/87 trap grades. I have shot with several shooters using the 870 Classic Trap. They seem to like their guns and the screw in choke tubes work. As to the observation that older 870 (and 1100) fixed full choke barrels are "magical", I would have to second that observation. I have a fixed full 30" non step rib barrel from a 1980 870 TA that I move from gun to gun based on the match or game being shot. Most of the punches I have earned, I got with that barrel.

A shooting friend used a similar 1980 870 TA with the fixed full barrel to shoot a 99 at the 1989 Grand. He took home over $27,000. I paid $304 for my 870 TA in 1980 and I have won many times that in "games" shoots. I won over $500 in one "3 long" match. It breaks targets thrown from 50 yards behind the house or from one trap field across another while standing on the 27 yard line with authority.

The newer 870 Classic Trap's are a little more ornate, have wood that is plain by comparisons to older 870 TB and TC's but they shoot reliably. If the gun fits you, you will not be disappointed. If not, add a 4 way adjustable comb. I have added a 4 and 6 oz. recoil reducers in the butt stocks of my 870's. This softens the recoil and balances the gun so that the barrel feels lighter.

The newer 870's have the light contour barrel while the older 870's have the heavier barrel. I like the older barrels

I also have an 1100 TB I bought new for the wife in 1978 for $252. It has a 30" fixed full step rib barrel that shoots well from any distance. The wife shot 1 oz. of 8's at 1180 fps and the barrel would absolutely smoke 16 yard targets. I used it in several "games" matches and with 1 1/4 oz. of 6's at 1330fps, it would break targets at any distance including the last target in an "annie" that was almost to the ground from way behind the trap house.

If you buy the 870 Classic Trap and don't like it, I don't think that you will have any trouble in selling it and you probably won't get beat up on price.

I am biased towards 870's as that was the gun I grew up with.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Quality is good. I don't like he new barrels. Knew of several that bent with the new light contour barrels. Remington made Good by them and replaced all. My dad shoots one and wants my old tb barrel for his classic.I would find an old one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts