Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with more experience. Looking at the used market what would you consider the pros and cons of an 870 classic trap vs. later production BT-99?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Both fire from a locked breech, so you get more recoil compared to a gas operated semi-auto. The BT99 would limit you to singles only, no doubles, Skeet or sporting. Technically, you could shoot doubles, Skeet, and sporting with the 870, but I'd think unless you're exceptionally skilled, you'd be at a significant disadvantage.

If it were for trap singles only, I'd go with the BT99 just for the fact that you can put a PFS stock on it and adjust it to fit, plus it has a recoil reducer.

I don't see any reason to get an 870CT, when you can spend about the same money on a 1100 Competition Synthetic and have a gun that kicks a lot less, comes with an adjustable butt plate and comb, and has a recoil reducer to boot, and is versatile enough to use competitively for doubles, skeet, and sporting.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd go with the 870 first and then the BT-99 second. I think that the 870 is a little more versatile. Of course I may be biased because I started on an 870.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info everyone. Part of my considerations are cost and the fact that I did start with an 870 way back in the 70s. Life got in the way for a bunch of years. I do have an older Citori Trap that I shoot now Fixed modified and full. Part of this is the dreaded trapshooter want another gun syndrome.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If you like the 870, look at a BPS Trap. They are $700 full retail brand new in the box

Reactions: blwillson

·
Registered
685 Posts
if your interest is in trap and tou think you will just shoot singles and handicap i would go with the bt. if you want to shoot 2 shots now and then the bt is not the answer. personaly i would think you would be better off with a citori it fits all the disciplines.

·
Registered
612 Posts
870 you have more options. You can shoot doubles if you want with it. But what you may pay for either of those used you can get a BPS trap new. My only beef with that gun is the finish seems to scratch if you look at it funny.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
I do have an older Citori Trap that I shoot now Fixed modified and full.
If you guys would read the thread before commenting you could be more helpful. Steve asked opinions between the 870 and a 99. He didn't mention autos. So Steve, the 99 will shoot much like your Citori. That is a plus. The 99 is also great loaner gun for new shooters because of its simplicity compared to the 870. That is a plus. You started shooting an 870 and you want to revisit those memories. Who wouldn't, so that's a plus for the 870.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sundown, I have heard that from other folks, what is the dividing line between old and new models. How do you tell the difference if you don't mind?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Older model BT 99 have light scroll work on receiver. You really can't go wrong with one. As long as the lever is far right, but almost anyone can rebuild one. They also hold there value.
Try to find one with an adjustable comb. Most local trap ranges will have several people that shoot them or have them at home. Ask around and I'm sure someone will allow you to shoot theirs to try it out.
You might also find someone willing to sell one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I love the 870 and I have several, but no trap models. I got my son a BT99 though, and there are a boat load of upgrades for that one. Some cheap, some not so cheap, but they I've seen far more for the 99 than the 870

1 - 20 of 41 Posts