Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PART_1448817441138_20151128_071340.jpg
Above is a picture of an 870 blow up that apparently happened during the recent WI deer season.

I'm relaying the following from an email a friend sent me that was sent to him. I don't know any of the parties involved....it could be all BS...except for the exploding gun part.

Apparently the hunter was using Brenneke KO slugs. He fired twice, with no issues on the first shot but the second shot resulted in this catastrophic failure.

It was reported that a local gun shop owner called his Remington rep regarding this and the rep stated that they have had a 'rash' of barrel explosions recently due to Brenneke slugs. Supposedly Brenneke had changed their production process whereby they are gluing the wad to the slug. The wad and slug separate leaving the wad in the barrel. The obstruction causes the catastrophic failure on the next shot.

Apparently, Remington will be replacing the gun.

·
Registered
14,108 Posts
I'm dubious. Not too many deer hunters use a vent rib with a steel front bead and absolutely no provision for a receiver or cantilever mounted optic. Esp not the ones paying big bux for brennekes.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
That's a fairly common setup in my part of the country. Guys just take their regular shotgun and shoot slugs for the deer season.

Why would the wad stop in the barrel?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would the wad stop in the barrel?
Good question and I can't think of any reason it would. You would think it would have to be behind the 'gas charge'. Maybe there is a base wad that separates from the hull and that lodges in the barrel?

Also, you would think if there were really a "rash" of this incidents it would be more well known.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
found this on line... but this is from 2007 and is about Rottweil not KO Slugs.

WARNING
Important Notice To Buyers Of RottweilTM BrennekeTM Rifled Slug Ammunition
Rottweil Brenneke Rifled Slug ammunition is subject to the following warning and notice:
A limited number of rifled slugs may fail to clear the barrel completely upon firing. Although this is unlikely to occur, a follow-up shot could result in catastrophic failure of the barrel, and could cause property damage or severe personal injury.
The company is undertaking a program to identify and recover all affected rifled slugs. As a precaution, RUAG Ammotec GmbH will have the product returned at no charge, and refund the purchase price.
This program applies only to rifled slugs with batch numbers bearing the letters X, Y or Z as the fourth digit and batch numbers 52 VW 4 and 53 KA 3, no other rifled slugs are involved.

We ask that you call the toll-free number for the Rifled Slug Refund Program at: 866-464-4767.

The product code on the box will positively identify if your rifled slugs are some of the affected product, and if so, how to arrange for reimbursement.

Do not use the above described Rottweil Brenneke Rifled Slugs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts