Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 2006 SKB 85 TSS Combo with adjustable combing pad from the original owner. The gun is 98-99% condition. The O/U barrel may have never been fired.

However, when I assembled the barrel(s), the locking latch/pin which protrudes out the left side of the receiver when opened, is not completely sliding back into place when the action is closed. Without the barrel in place, the latch/pin will easily slide back into place in a flush position with the receiver.

I have heard that SKBs of this era were tight? I don't want to force anything, but was wondering if I should open and close the receiver a number of times to see about getting it to seat properly? Or is this indicative of a specific problem needing attention by a gunsmith or SKB?

·
Registered
11,340 Posts
As long as the latch bar closes most of the way I'd say its just a nice tight fit. But you better call the people at SKB and ask them, just to be on the safe side. They will know. Also you may want to give them the serial # of the gun to see if it may need any up-dates for this make/model as well. Their customer service is very good, and they will keep you happy. Good Luck with your new gun. break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
On my 85TSS O/U the locking latch sticks out maybe 4 or 5 thousandths when closed. I also have an Unsingle in same model that
is flush when closed. Was told by the SKB folks that the taper to that cross bolt is what locks the action, kind of a wedging action. I think the Unsingle has more wear than the O/U. They both are fine guns.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts