Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recipes in Hodgdons 20 ga 7/8 section call for 16 grains of 800X for almost all recipes for that powder.
wondering what your opinions are. how it loads, meters, shoots, thanks Dennis

· Registered
215 Posts
I'm loading it in 20 gauge. Goes through a P-W or Spolar pretty good. I think it doesn't meter as well in a MEC.
Recipes in Hodgdons 20 ga 7/8 section call for 16 grains of 800X for almost all recipes for that powder.
wondering what your opinions are. how it loads, meters, shoots, thanks Dennis
I'm loading it in 20 gauge. Goes through a P-W or Spolar pretty good. I think it doesn't meter as well in a MEC.
I was gifted 8 lbs of 8ooX. I have been using it for 1200 fps 1 1/8 loads in 12 ga., and 7/8 in 20 ga and 3/4 oz in 28 ga. Powder is great, Seems to have a loud report in 12 ga loads but don't notice it in 20 and 28's. Maybe my imagination!!!. I load on a MEC 9000 and found I had to weigh every load. I tried using and not using a baffle; no real difference. Was getting 3 to 4 grains of variation!! I have put up with the aggravation as powder was free!! I got Time!!!! Hope your experience is better than mine!!!

Ron

· Registered
1,112 Posts
rosies dad is correct. I tried it in a Mec 650 for 28ga and had too large a powder variation. I called Mec and they said I'd have to use a SS reloader because of the small powder drops. I continued but would slap the powder bottle when the bar was under it. I finally gave up and went to a different powder.

· Registered
2,403 Posts
800x is a good heavy load 12ga powder, over 1-1/4oz, anything less sounds like field artillery!!! l load it in 20ga loads on a MEC 650. Shoots well. What l started with for 20ga. so l stick with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.