Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the CB lightning wad the only 7/8 wad with 8 pedals or are there more? I’ve worked up a fantastic close range shell with the 8 pedal DR tgt12 wad but I’m always using a 1/8” nitro card under the 7/8 oz for a good crimp and getting kind of tired of that.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Downrange has the Purple Jammer 8 petal wad. It is 1 oz. but can be used for 7/8 oz.
I still prefer the CB 4100's over those DR Jammers though. A much better wad and easier to find along with cheaper.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I will explain why I think the Purple Jammer inferior.
When I got back into reloading those were the 1st wads I tried.
I used AAHS cases. When I rammed in the wad and dropped shot the wads would pop back out sending shot all over.
I learned from others why. There were no air release grooves molded into the piston like other wads.
The CB 4100 has them. I don't need that aggravation of dealing with that oversight on those Purple Jammers.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
8 petal wads are fine until you stick a wad petal into the shot drop tube. Then you have a problem unless you catch it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is the CB lightning wad the only 7/8 wad with 8 pedals or are there more? I’ve worked up a fantastic close range shell with the 8 pedal DR tgt12 wad but I’m always using a 1/8” nitro card under the 7/8 oz for a good crimp and getting kind of tired of that.
just use a CB0178 a true 7/8 wad,the cb Lighting wad is fo 1oz primarily see clay buster sight!

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Another +1 for DRXXL Pink. Now if I could just find more I’d be happy.

Reactions: Amiller86

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have loaded the Jammer purple XL 1 oz wads in 1 oz loads and 1 1/8 oz handicap loads for many years. I have had no problems with the loads 0r with the crimps at all. I load on a hydraulic MEC. I use old style AAs, new style AAs and Remington hulls including gun clubs. I don't use any straight wall hulls. The purple jammer wad is in my opinion the best wad on the market, I've shoot many 100s & 200s with this load.

·
Registered
16,721 Posts
A few guys around here have punched out filler wads from grocery store styrofoam trays. Works great and you don't have to buy 12 gauge card wads. Use with any one ounce wad for 7/8 oz.

HM

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: cut myself up some 8 pedal XXL Pinks I’ll run for first shot of doubles tonight under the lights

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I want to report that I may just have to cut ALL of my remaining 7,000 XXL Pinks into 8 pedal wads wow I never pulled more smoke off clays before with that wad until I made them 8 pedal with only a muller U2 and at the 16.

·
Registered
16,721 Posts
We will wait for your pattern testing report on the 2 different wads. I would hazard a guess that the 8 petal comes off the shot column sooner, resulting in a teeny bit more spread.

HM

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We will wait for your pattern testing report on the 2 different wads. I would hazard a guess that the 8 petal comes off the shot column sooner, resulting in a teeny bit more spread.

HM
Good idea and I may shoot singles with them on the shotkam if y’all want to see the break differences, I’ll go a round with 8 pedals then a round with 4.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Interested to see a pattern report as well. Very interesting to know how the 4 petal and 8 petal would compare side by side in a pattern test.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interested to see a pattern report as well. Very interesting to know how the 4 petal and 8 petal would compare side by side in a pattern test.
To tell you guys the truth I’ve hardly done any pattern testing, only when I have a gun I’m not hitting good with. So should I do 1 shot on each or 3 shots on each or 6 shots or 10 shots and how about the yardage? It’s my first shot of doubles load and skeet and close sporting so about 23 yards. Or maybe singles yardage push it out to 30.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts