Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'am considering using 8.5 shot from the 16 yard line what opinions do people have on this.

Been using 7.5 for all my shooting the last ten years.

At 16 yard line I use a 7/8 ounce load. Never had any problem wiyh the 7.5's just thinking.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Well lets say this, there is a Hall of Famer that views this board. I won't disclose his name yet but he had quite a few years with averages in the 99.5 area. I would say by that they will work.

Yes I do and even in strong headwinds.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Why not just go for 8's on everything? Seriously though, my best average years were the two or three years that I used 1oz of 8.5 at about 1180fps. My average was 96-98 for those years and I only got to shoot about 500 or so of registered singles per year.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I think you would like the 8.5's. What with the price of shot, using 8.5's and going to 1 oz. or 7/8 oz. you might save a little money but at the same time your scores will be good as well.

At the small club that I help with we had an older shooter that always used 8.5's on the 16yd line.

Allen

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've shot 1oz of 8.5 a bunch over the years with a improved mod. Tube and had great scores but with the price of shot these days you have to make the call. Never hurts to buy a bag and load up a few and have some fun.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've shot 1oz of 8.5 a bunch over the years with a improved mod. Tube and had great scores but with the price of shot these days you have to make the call. Never hurts to buy a bag and load up a few and have some fun.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I've used 9's at 16 yards until someone told me you shouldn't. They seemed to work fine for me. The late Walt Marvel shot 8's at 16 yards for years.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
California hall of famer Steve Williamson shoots 1oz of 9's for singles. He has a LOT of 200's with that combo.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Been shooting 8 1/2's at 16 yd. for so long, I don't remember shooting anything else. I have changed to 1 oz. now. May try 7/8 oz.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
My only 100 straight was with 1 ounce of 8-1/2's at 1150 fps.

But honestly, at 16 yards, I can't imagine even a slight difference between using 7-1/2's 8's, 8-1/2's or even 9's.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have used 8.5 a lot with good results. If reloading you may want to increase your velocity to above 1200 fps. Gets the energy up in the BB's. Using 7/8 oz. With Alliant's Extra Lite at 1225 fps, No felt Recoil. I use a lite full choke.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.