Trapshooters Forum banner

725 saga

3580 Views 21 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  cantshoot
Bought a 725 and scores suck after 1k rounds. Benelli and kx6 first go was 24 of 25 can’t break 20 with browning. It has adjustable everything from GU. Who else has problems with Browning?
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
8,768 Posts
It ISN'T the gun that is the problem.
While I believe the 725 is a great gun, having owned several (currently own the new(er) GU 725 adjustable combo) I can think of several good guns I couldn't shoot consistently no matter how I adjusted them. Not only that, I know many other "good" shooters that have all said the same thing...offline of course but regardless, thinking one should spend thousands on targets and ammo to figure out a gun is about as wise as trying to figure out a woman, which leads me to believe the only consistency with trying to "make it work" is the way it ends.

· Registered
697 Posts
I have a Citori High Rib with adjustable rib and comb. The thing shoots great. But then a friend came along and sold me his 725 Combo with adjustable ribs and comb. The gun fits me like a glove and really shoots nice. Both guns are from Guns Unlimited. My only question is which one to shoot? I tend to lean towards the combo gun. Which is my forth 725.
725's are great guns. Sounds like you need to set the thing up some more. But then again we all shoot some guns better than others. This gun might not be your "go to gun".

· Registered
1,087 Posts
It might be the weight distribution and the way the gun moves . I have a gun with the same stock dimensions and poi as my 725. Bit it is 1 1/2 lbs lighter. I can't hit anything with the lighter gun. Everyone else that shoots the lighter gun does great with it.

· Registered
494 Posts
My son started shooting a 725 early this summer and it took us quite a while to get it dialed in for him and to get some consistency with it. He likes the balance, but it is a bit lighter than his old gun. The 725 is about 8 ounces lighter than his old gun and the old gun was slightly barrel heavy. The more balanced 725 seems like it is at least a pound lighter, but it’s only half that. So far I have resisted adding weight to it, but it might still happen. With his old BPS trap he started the 2021 year with a 199/200 in 16 yard singles and finished it with the 725 shooting a 197/200. It was a long frustrating road getting there. His doubles scores improved right away, though he did have some struggles there at times. He says the O/U is like cheating compared to the pump gun. :)

· Registered
288 Posts
Browning 725's are great guns and I own three currently. That being said, I purchased a new one at the PA State Shoot years ago and it had a barrel regulation issue (actually I feel it was how the barrel was threaded for chokes). After shooting lower than my average with that gun for the rest of the shoot, the first thing I did was hit the patterning board when I got back home. After seeing it wasn't me and actually was the gun made me feel much better! Browning replaced the gun promptly. Every other 725, 625, Citori etc has been excellent. And I have owned a bunch.

· Registered
373 Posts
Check the constriction of your DS CHOKES before you do anything. Most likely you are shooting somewhere between cyl and ic no matter what is marked on the choke tube. My buddy had 4 cyl and 1 ic tube with his new 725. He was ready to throw that gun in the trash. After I miked his chokes and bought a new set for him. His scores doubled.

· Registered
1,087 Posts
Check the constriction of your DS CHOKES before you do anything. Most likely you are shooting somewhere between cyl and ic no matter what is marked on the choke tube. My buddy had 4 cyl and 1 ic tube with his new 725. He was ready to throw that gun in the trash. After I miked his chokes and bought a new set for him. His scores doubled.
This is a great catch . I forgot all about the DS chokes . Mine were at least two steps more open than they were marked . Except , the full choke was tighter than most extra fulls .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.