Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Shot both. for 1 oz cant beat Titewad. For 1 and 1 1/8 up to 1200fps 700x is hard to beat.

·
Registered
556 Posts
700x is the best powder i have ever used for performance !!!! The worst thing i ever did was buy a powder scale ??? Then i started checking drop charges and then i hated the sh*it !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
700X is great as long as you don't weigh it, haha. It's the least consistent powder drop I've seen. But despite that I still like it. It requires less powder than Titewad and consequently you may experience sunken crimps, but no problems with powder blow-by possibly due to the larger flake size. Titewad requires more powder but drops more consistently; however I've had more problems with it, with powder blow-by and unburned flakes (it's a very fine grain). These observations are with 1-oz. loads in Federal hulls and 12SO wads.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used 5# of Titewad, no issues, soft shooting. The only thing I had to overcome was the powder leaking from my charge bar. A quick post here resolved that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
used titewad for everything from 1 oz loads for singles to 1 1/8 for handicaps, loved it. Light recoil, clean, and consistent.

Smokey

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I have been using 700X for years. At times its hard trying to get the powder you want. I tried Unquie(sp) powder and found it gave me more speed but a softer recoil. I went through my powders and found a can of Alcan AL-120. Great powder. It was a 4 lb paper keg with a price tag of $19.95. Still have some left.

What I'm saying is use what you have and use what you can get. At times you don't have a choice to.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Tightwad really works well for 1 ounce loads, especially in the new Ga WW hulls since it doesn't take up much space. Not to mention it is one of the few powders you can find in stock these days. No experience with 700X.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I actually like them both. I use 700X for light 1-1/8 and Titewad for 1 oz loads. There are advantages that I'd give to Titewad as to the economy and cleanliness. Also, 700X has a bitter, acrid aroma to me when burned. Titewad does lose some material off of your charge bar but I've seen larger particle size powders do the same.

I've actually found that 700X has been the one of the most consistent with its drop weight over all of the powders that I've used. Once I started making sure that I employed a brief pause at the bottom of my cycle, I generated more consistent drops. Those with problems in consistency may be having a problem with humidity. When you get a little moisture in either of those powders, the results will not be the same between both of them. The larger particles of the 700X powder will cause more problems if you introduce humidity due to the amount of space each particle and eventually clump of particles take up in the bushing. Just put a small amount of each into adjoining piles and you'll see what I'm talking about. Spritz a little water on each and mix them around and it should make even more sense. The amount of water would be overboard in the experiment but small amounts in the air have the same effect. Never forget to shake the powder bottle before dispensing as well. The larger powder is more susceptible to powder segregation due to particle size and distribution properties.

Scott Felix

1 - 20 of 23 Posts