Trapshooters Forum banner

700x load

2056 Views 20 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Carl_in_NH
I am 16 and have been shooting trap for a few years now and my father has been reloading shells for me to use for practice for the last few years. I have become more involved in reloading my own shells now so dad and I started using a 700x recipe for 12 ga since that is all we could find.

12 ga
Federal or Estate plastic base wad hull
Cheddite primer
17.5 grains 700x
Cb 6100-12
1 oz 7 1/2

crimps good, low recoil, busts birds after 1 box of testing
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Just for fun try 16.7 grains and # 8s.
Less recoil and a lot more BBs...
I haven’t had good luck with #8 for some reason. Perhaps it’s mental but I’ve seen my scores drop a bit when I switched to #8 from #7. My buddy who shoots mainly trap said that I need to take the bird much quicker if I’m going to keep using #8. Also, our facility is a steel only so ymmv

· Registered
13,547 Posts
I'm Glad to hear of the quality time you are spending with your dad. I too started to reload at a young age and shot with my father. They were some of the best times of my childhood. I'm sure you feel the same way.

Now, exactly why did you tell us the load you worked up above? I do not see a load listed with your wad. Your wad is made for European imports hulls. They will work with Federal's but I do not see a load listed. I do see one with a CB-2100-12 (12so) wads though if you substitute a Win. primer for your cheddite primer. Which are close, but not exact. Since you have used 2 substitute's in your load. You should contact Hodgdon and see what there support tech's say about your primer and wad combo!!! I don't think your load is unsafe, but its good to talk to a powder tech when you work up a load like yours. Don't forget to break em all jeff

· Premium Member
8,121 Posts
Carts:

First, and foremost, welcome to TS.com. Great first post.

I don't see any reference to steel shot in your post. If, in fact, you are using steel shot, Flashmax is correct, everything is wrong except the hull and the primer.

If you are using lead shot, your load is fine and if you are comfortable shooting it, I would not change. Although, backing off the powder a half grain or so would lessen recoil and likely not disturb your scores (and might improve them).

And keep up the posting, we're here to help.

Regards,
Nebs

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Carts:

I don't see any reference to steel shot in your post. If, in fact, you are using steel shot, Flashmax is correct, everything is wrong except the hull and the primer.

If you are using lead shot, your load is fine and if you are comfortable shooting it, I would not change. Although, backing off the powder a half grain or so would lessen recoil and likely not disturb your scores (and might improve them).

Regards,
Nebs
Nemmine, it was sigguy at the steel club.
I’ll delete my post.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Carts, how often do you beat your Dad?

My daughter is 17 and she whips me a lot... 🤕
Hey Carts, how often do you beat your Dad?

My daughter is 17 and she whips me a lot... 🤕
He doesn’t shoot that often with me since he is our range officer for 4h but when he does I beat him probably most of the time. He sneaks one past me every once in a while.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm Glad to hear of the quality time you are spending with your dad. I too started to reload at a young age and shot with my father. They were some of the best times of my childhood. I'm sure you feel the same way.

Now, exactly why did you tell us the load you worked up above? I do not see a load listed with your wad. Your wad is made for European imports hulls. They will work with Federal's but I do not see a load listed. I do see one with a CB-2100-12 (12so) wads though if you substitute a Win. primer for your cheddite primer. Which are close, but not exact. Since you have used 2 substitute's in your load. You should contact Hodgdon and see what there support tech's say about your primer and wad combo!!! I don't think your load is unsafe, but its good to talk to a powder tech when you work up a load like yours. Don't forget to break em all jeff
Dad talked to hodgdon and they said that the primer and was combo would work. I read on another old forum that the 12so clone was made for the paper type basewad since it has a taller crush section. The cb 6100-12 was made for euro imports and straight wall hulls and would work in the plastic basewad in federal and estate hulls due to shorter crush section. I started using the 12so clone in the plastic basewad hulls and I would get shells that the crimp would not fully close or collapse the crush section. Talking to clay buster, they said the 6100-12 would work better and so far I haven’t had issues with it

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lead shot. Forgot to men
Carts:

Regards,
Nebs
Lead shot

· Premium Member
8,121 Posts
Dad talked to hodgdon and they said that the primer and was combo would work. I read on another old forum that the 12so clone was made for the paper type basewad since it has a taller crush section. The cb 6100-12 was made for euro imports and straight wall hulls and would work in the plastic basewad in federal and estate hulls due to shorter crush section. I started using the 12so clone in the plastic basewad hulls and I would get shells that the crimp would not fully close or collapse the crush section. Talking to clay buster, they said the 6100-12 would work better and so far I haven’t had issues with it
Carts:

If you are reading at this level, go the head of the class. Many don't understand the nuance between wad crush section length, basewad height and stack height. You have an upper level grasp of it. You've obviously been studying. You will go far. Kudos

· Registered
13,547 Posts
Talking to clay buster, they said the 6100-12 would work better and so far I haven’t had issues with it
Thanks for the tip. I was unaware that the Euro wad works better in the Plastic base wad Federal hulls. Do Enjoy the time you spend with your Father. I hope you have as much fun with him as I did with mine. Don't forget to break em all. Jeff

· Registered
1,554 Posts
I load 700x a LOT and find published speed in manuals is generally much lower than actual speed over chronograph. That results in more recoil and speed not really needed unless it’s fun-n-games loads. Get a chrono and you can be sure of your loads - not really expensive at all and will last forever.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.