Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the cold weather approaching (below 32 F) do you change your powder charges of 700 x to compensate
for the drop in temperature?
I've just changed to 700 x because of availability and load 1 1/8 with 17.0 gr of 700x, CB1118 and Winchester 209 primers in a Win AA hull (old style).
I can't find any data to support the change.
Forgot to add!
Will be shooting Handicap at 24 yards.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have used 700x in temperatures well below 32 F with no issues what so ever, but I don't store them at that temp either. IMO you shouldn't have any problems shooting them in cold weather.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Never had any problems with cold but I always use win. 209 primers as you are. That load you are using is the same one I have used for ever.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've been shooting the same components here in Minnesota
for years. But I up it to 17.5 grains year round.

Sky Buster hit it right on....I use 17.5 grains all year also. Just make sure you don't leave in trunk or out in cold....keep in warm car until you shoot.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I use 700x for shooting winter league in Michigan in sub freezing weather with no problems except for when I tried nobel sport primers I changed to federal 209a primers
and have had no problems sense.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use 700X exclusively year round here in WI. 100+ in the summer, and -20 in the winter. I've never had a problem. 7/8, 1, and 1 1/8 oz loads.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
+1 for HuffinK5---- I always used Rem. or Fed. primers. NE corner of Iowa so temps about the same. Ross Puls

·
Registered
507 Posts
17 grains is PLENTY, and I've shot it at below zero temps in a Rem hull with Win primers. You will not have a problem. Just don't leave 'em out there for a few hours.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Never shoot cold ammo. Just like you wouldn't store your shotgun outside in the winter, never do so with your shells. We shoot a "blizzard" league in MN with temps averaging around 0 degrees. If you don't shoot warm ammo you will know.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts