Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Exactly what I'd like to know too. Been using Clays at 18 gr. with W209's, WAAL wad..7/8 of lead 8's in the straight walled clear Fiocchi hull; once and done. Nice load, clean and hits hard. Then went to the 3/4 ounce of 8's with the Claybuster pink 3/4 ounce wad, same powder drop. Fun load and easy shooter, very effective too. Wad straps in each version were all bent, thus evidencing pressure on the powder ball. Great flat crimps....6 star.

Now, with 700x at 17.3 gr., dished crimps, some almost open...but only loaded 7/8 loads with the WAAL. Did a few with the 3/4 Claybuster wad with 7/8's, gives good crimps with the 7/8 of lead. But, Haven't done any 3/4 ounce with 700x. To get from the 18 of Clays to the 17.3 of 700x, I came down 3 MEC bushing sizes . Weighed 10 drops, all the same. Thus, the lesser volume of powder generates the p/poor crimps. But they shoot well. No bent wad straps however and visable powder migration due to wad selected and used within a straight walled hull.

Me thinks, I'll need to use the pink 3/4 Claybuster wad with 7/8 of lead at 17.3 of 700x to get a good wad seal and crimp. I May have to pass on the 3/4 ouncer's altogether though. G'rrr.

Tell me your results.........thanks to all prospective responders.

Ernie....in AZ

·
Registered
624 Posts
I was a clay and also clay dot (prefer clays). Tired 700x due to access to it. not good in my view. Metering is ok but the loads are dirty if pressure at lower end of setting. Had to boost it using more powder then expected. The recoil is higher on similar weight loads of other powders. have had inconsistency in the sounds when shot although all loads done on spolar and within a 1/10th grain or better. Crimping inconsistent as the powder seems to pack different depending on humidity changes. 3/4 ounce with claybuster wads, sts hulls - dishing in crimps to point some pellets can fall out. 7/8 better but harder recoil. 1 oz best but higher recoil. I am not a hugh aliant fan but clay dot far better and costs the same.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The only 3/4 oz 12 ga loads I have reloaded was in Win AA hulls with the DownRange DRXXL Pink wad with 18.9 grains of Clays. I don't think this wad would work with 700X and 3/4 oz of shot.

The same DRXXL Pink wad made some great 7/8 oz loads in Rem STS hulls with Clays powder.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
700x works perfect for 1 1/8 1 oz & 7/8 not sure on 3/4 . I use a 28 or 29 bushing in my mec depending the speed I want I did load some 7/8 oz last week with my 30 bushing for bunker speed was right at 1325 AA hulls all claybuster wads pink 1oz - gray for 7/8 win 209 primers. I dont even have to adjust my crimp when going from 1 oz to 7/8 I just change the bar. Hoping to get my third reloader set up 1 for 1 1/8 1 for 1 oz & one for 7/8

·
Registered
41 Posts
"I May have to pass on the 3/4 ouncer's altogether though. G'rrrr"

Don't pass on the 3/4 ouncer's. I load the hot pink claybuster with 17 grains titewad and sts hulls and absolutely love them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So dose anyone actually know a real recipe for 7/8 oz.? Using these components 1 of remingtons...
STS/nitro or gun club hull
WAA12SL
700x
win 209
1200fps
???

If Anyone has pulled that off before. Looking to find out how many grains you used.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I load STS hulls with 15.9 grains of 700X, Fed209A primers, Claybuster gray wads and 7/8 oz . shot. Crimps well and low recoil. Does leave some residue in the barrel, but since I clean my guns after the shoot, it's no big deal. You can use the same components for 1 oz by just switching to the DR neon green wad.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Back when I started reloading red dot and 700x were the only powders listed for 7/8oz or 24 gram loads but today there are so many other powders that have been developed
that them two are no longer in the top 5. they burn better with 1oz. loads because the pressures are closer to the 10.ooopsi mark which makes it burn cleaner. I think you would be
better of with something like Extra lite or one of the vectan powders.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Try a pound of extra lite for your 7/8 or 3/4 oz loads. Works amazingly well. Avoid red dot. Even in 1oz burns pretty dirty (granted I was loading on the lower pressure end).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I loaded up a couple hundred rounds for skeet.
Remington Hull
CBO175-12 wad
15 grains 700x
Win 209 primer
I didn't like the breaks when I hit them. I was using skeet chokes,the pattern was way to open.
Looking back I think it would have worked better if I used full chokes?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used to use 700X for 3/4 oz and 7/8 oz in a STS hull. I used the CB0175-12, W209, and 16 gr for the 3/4 oz loads. They were pretty dirty...lots of powder flakes in the barrel. I used the DRXXL pink wad and 16-16.5 gr for the 7/8 oz loads...still dirty but much better. If you have dished crimps with the 3/4 oz loads check to make sure your press is dropping .75 oz. Mine was dropping .71 which was 5% low. I opened up my charge bar so that the drop was consistent at .75 and the dished crimps went away.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm just asking, has anyone taken a24gm loading data and used it on a 7/8 load? There is only a difference of 11.5 grains which come out to about 11 pieces of number 7.5 shot. Just wondering. I' sure someone has done it before.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm just asking, has anyone taken a24gm loading data and used it on a 7/8 load? There is only a difference of 11.5 grains which come out to about 11 pieces of number 7.5 shot. Just wondering. I' sure someone has done it before.
I have used 24 gram recipes for 7/8 oz loads without issue. As long as the 24 gram load isn't high pressure you should be fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use it with #28 bushing in my MEC with AA hulls, 15.7 grains 700X, Claybuster wads CB 0178, Winchester 209 primers. 7/8 ounce of #7.5 shot.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts