Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy I know that was a very accomplished trap shooter, said he used 7/8oz loads to practice on 16yrd line with. Said if your on them, you don't need 1-1/8oz.

Anyone try the light load & have a combination of components they would recommend? TIA

· Premium Member
BT99
260 Posts
Here's one that might work, light on the old shoulder.
Format is from my reload label.

Date
__ Gauge_12 Ga

Case Type Winchester AA___

Wad_CB0178-12_______

Shot Brand West Coast Magnum Wt 7/8 oz SIZE:_7.5

Powder Type Alliant E3 Powder Wt. 17.0gr

Primer ____Winchester W209 – Lot# LCL-350S___

Pressure/Velocity 8210psi/1250fps__ Run#_

· Registered
3,170 Posts
I use this load a lot in my side x side LC Smiths, works fine at 16 yards.
Once powder and shot were in short supply, I loaded a couple of thousand for practice, they work fine, but I haven't tried them in really cold weather.

· Registered
2,393 Posts
I use this load a lot in my side x side LC Smiths, works fine at 16 yards.
Once powder and shot were in short supply, I loaded a couple of thousand for practice, they work fine, but I haven't tried them in really cold weather.
View attachment 1746916
The Extra Lite works great here in Minnesota during the winter and summer. I use that same amount of powder in Winchester AA hulls with the CB 0178-12 wad. Hits the birds hard.

· Registered
296 Posts
7/8 oz. is all I use for 16 yards. Have 2 Mec's set up for this load, one with Red Dot, and the other with 700X. With Remington hulls, 16.0gr 700X with CB1100-12 wad or CB0178-12 wad. With Winchester hulls, 16.5gr Red Dot with CB1100-12 wad or CB0178-12 wad.

Don

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My 7/8 this year I been using STS hulls, ched209, 15.5gr red dot, DRXXL Pink, and #8 they break targets very hard and very easy on my shoulder except I’ll seldom get the cheddite thumper :poop: c’mon win209 I miss ya
Yeah, primers are high dollar around me. IF you can find them at retailers most of them have not increased the price much. We have a local auction house selling them for $100-$175/1k

· Registered
540 Posts
The Extra Lite works great here in Minnesota during the winter and summer. I use that same amount of powder in Winchester AA hulls with the CB 0178-12 wad. Hits the birds hard.
My son was the Mn. State class singles runner up ~15 years ago, Clays, W209 and Rem hulls. DR XL-1 wads with 1 oz. payloads. He has been in many shoot offs at Alex but never won a leather bag all he wanted LOL. But his name is on many plaques in clubs in Mn. and Wi. Shooting against Wi. during the blizzard leagues at twenties below and windchill of 40 below they always went bang. When he placed first in Wi. at Holmen in Wi. first prize was a bottle of Southern Comfort. They were confused as to what to do with the prize, he had just turned 15. And said Dad get up here. Wi. you win booze Mn. meat trays.

~20 years ago at the Mn. Southern Zone shoot I was sitting at the table where all the shooters were AAA27AAA. Someone asked them what they shot and everyone said in unison 1 1/8 oz. He then asked why and finally Tammy replied that because the ATA would not allow them to shoot 1 1/4 oz. Everyone laughed and nodded in agreement.

Couple of years ago think someone won a State Shoot with 7/8 oz. in singles from the 16. Don't recall the details exactly. Pretty sure it is rare though.

Yes you can get the yips from shooting heavy loads. But from a statistical standpoint you are giving up birds the lighter you go. But have to stay in the gun too. I ended up going from EELL wood to a PFS and eventually got rid of the yips by going to 1 oz. And use a ISIS on my 12 SxS now. And 1 oz. in my 12 ga. O\U but realize what I am giving up.

Your are going to miss some targets with 7/8 oz. Well there is the "as long as I do my part" LOL. That always makes me Laugh. Out. Loud.

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
7/8 oz. is all I use for 16 yards. Have 2 Mec's set up for this load, one with Red Dot, and the other with 700X. With Remington hulls, 16.0gr 700X with CB1100-12 wad or CB0178-12 wad. With Winchester hulls, 16.5gr Red Dot with CB1100-12 wad or CB0178-12 wad.

Don
I have used the 1oz equivalent with the Remington hull load before. I'll have to try the 7/8oz. I use ALL Remington hulls. Gold nitro hulls are my Longshot /Annie loads, Green STS Hulls are 1-1/4oz, Gun club hulls are my concrete shells.

· Registered
3,963 Posts
Right from the Hodgdon pages

My load is Remington Gun Club (also STS sometimes)
Winchester 209 Primer
7/8 Oz. # 8 Hard also on occasion 8½ Hard shot
Claybuster Lightening 4100-12 wad
18,6 Grains Titewad (weighed) or I will go to 19.5 Gr. Titewad (weighed)

Very Nice soft shooting in my 1100 and my 11-87 and it works the action normally. I did have to go to 2 o-rings on the 1100 (1970's vintage) because it seems that some of the o-rings were a wee bit thinner. Don't know if it was just a bad lot of rings or maybe a "second-soource" manufacturer. I do shoot it slightly "wet" and the 11-87 works well on a single o-ring.

When I do my part, the ammo works well. On a completely centered hit no pieces just a smoke cloud of centered and pieces. If I don't do my part (jerking, head lifting, left eye taking over, poor mount) or wind gusts bird jump/drop, might be a small chip or a lost bird. Very seldom is it I know "I had that bird!" and it didn't break. I have that same problem with 1⅛ loads too so I might not have done my job right in spite of what I thought.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.