Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering going to 7/8 oz. loads to lessen recoil. What are you other shooters feelings on this? Do any of you shoot them and have you had success with them?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have used them in both trap- 16 yds. and sporting clays with good success. I would not feel confident for long range handicap, but I try to be very competitive. If recoil is a big concern then do it, but know that if you hot rod the 7/8 oz loads, they will kick as much as light 1 oz. I assume you reload, so do your own experment.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Been using 7/8 on singles for a couple of years and my average has continued to go up, currently in AA . The biggest hurdle was in my own head so just find a load that you feel confident in and stick with it. When I miss it has nothing to do with the shell, it is the person running the show that missed.
I still use 1 ounce on handicap, 25 yard, but occasionally will use 7/8 and haven't seen a noticeable difference.

·
Premium Member
5,266 Posts
Been using 7/8 on singles for a couple of years and my average has continued to go up, currently in AA . The biggest hurdle was in my own head so just find a load that you feel confident in and stick with it. When I miss it has nothing to do with the shell, it is the person running the show that missed.
I still use 1 ounce on handicap, 25 yard, but occasionally will use 7/8 and haven't seen a noticeable difference.
Well Todd, you are just a good shooter! It must be all the good competition you shoot against on Tuesday night league that keeps your skills honed. :D

If it was up to me, I would throw 4 oz of lead at those danged handicap targets if the ATA would let me!

Reactions: mg1polo

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
I've been shooting 1oz. 8's for everything for years. If I do my part I get smoked handicap targets (25yds.) and second targets in doubles. I'd gladly fo to 7/8oz. if it was the rule.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
You are handicapping yourself against 1 1/8oz shooters. Just a fact. Get a good recoil reducer and check your pitch then go to 1oz loads minimum. Then maybe, a Remington 1100 competition synthetic if your still having issues with recoil. There just about no recoil on that gun regardless of what shell you use.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Every 1 1/8 oz load has a 7/8 oz load ridding with it. That extra shot goes somewhere...more is better it would seem. Because of the reduced recoil, you may shoot better using the lighter loads 1.0 or 7/8 oz but it does not mean its a better load ballistically.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Doing so will definitely reduce your recoil.

Reactions: OldGoat

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
If you are reloading make sure you use the best Magnum shot you can buy. Remington or West Coast come to mind.
Crazy extra speed is not a help. You would do better with 1 oz and 1150 fps. 1200 fps 7\8 will break the clay in the center of the pattern all day.
If you beat others at Handicap using your 7/8th load you know you did something, and can stand proud that day with your buckle.
Try it for a month or two and see how it works on your score sheet.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts