Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm just getting back into trapshooting after a 15 year hiatus. I just started loading again and decided on 7/8 ounce loads as I'm trying to get my wife involved and I like the low recoil.
From my previous stash of components i had a case of Claybuster 4100 wads, 700x and a supply of the old CF AA wads. I'm finding that the CB wad is seating inconsistently at times. I have a little wad pressure on it. I find the wad can sometimes not seat deep enough. the shell will still crimp and looks ok after its loaded but it just doesnt seem right to me.

They shoot and sound fine. no issues, but i get paranoid at times and see the wad fingers sitting a little high in the shell so i feel compelled to remove and check powder weight.
Does anyone else have this issue with these wads?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have loaded 7/8 oz with CB-4100's for years although with somewhat different other components than you mention. Sometimes I see a bit of the wad fingers above the shot but as long as I can adjust the press to give me a good crimp, I don't worry about it. If the shell rattles a little when I shake it, so be it; they shoot just fine.

Visibility of the wad fingers is really a function of the dimensions of the shot cup and the amount of shot. Powder and wad pressure are second order effects at best. Since the 4100 is designed to handle both 7/8 and 1 oz loads, it isn't too surprising that with 7/8 oz you can see a bit of the wad fingers.

Bottom line for me is that if they shoot OK, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The one nice thing about the CB4100 is that you can use them with ether 7/8 or 1oz and not have to change a thing on your press. I used them with titewad and 7/8 and with claydot with 1oz loads and the crimps were all good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts