Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using 7/8 ounce loads for my 12 gauge for trap. I have never shot better with these loads. I load them at a velocity of 1310 fps. The pressure is 8200 psi. Yesterday I was shooting skeet and decided to use my trap gun and put my IC chokes in and have fun. One of the guys I was shooting with who use to shoot trap and now only shoots skeet complained. He said my gun was shooting a hot load, I told him it wasn't. He said it was and the noise was bothering him. I told him what I was using as far as shot and velocity. I was told that in trap or skeet I would not be allowed to use this load.

I told him I could use up to 1350 fps in trap with a 7/8 ounce load, and since I was using 1310 fps to leave me alone. I think he was mad that I was smashing targets and he was in a slump. I didn't shoot no perfect rounds but for me they were good and I had a great time hitting what I was. I have not shoot skeet with a 12 gauge in yeaars.

The question is am I shooting a legal load for trap and skeet?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
ATA registered trap yes - as for skeet, I think not. As your associate said they are noisy and they bother him. Please find some quiet shells to use on the semi-circle. Pastel colored or perfumed shells are also always appropriate and might be more agreeable to this fellow.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
The ATA rule book says it's OK.

I don't think NSSA has a muzzle velocity limit, so they would be legal for skeet too.

·
Registered
11,130 Posts
Dolphin as said, there is no limit in speed in skeet. Only in trap. But I'll bet ya cash money you are reloading with 700X powder!!! Its always had a loud report. Longshot has the same problem as well. You really can back off the speed though!!!, Its not needed and it really defeats the purpose of using a lighter load to begin with. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
24 gr at 1310-1340 for just about every International load there is... even up to 1400 in Europe I've been told. Every International load I've ever shot feels about same as my 28 gauge, they shoot really nice!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hate to hear that 700X is a loud report powder. Can anybody else comment on this? I have never used 700x in the past and was just ready to buy some to try out. I normally only load 1oz and try to keep it about 1180 fps.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dolphin as said, there is no limit in speed in skeet. Only in trap. But I'll bet ya cash money you are reloading with 700X powder!!! Its always had a loud report. Longshot has the same problem as well. You really can back off the speed though!!!, Its not needed and it really defeats the purpose of using a lighter load to begin with. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff
hello againe Jeff. no its red dot and it has less kick that a lower fps load. I know its not needed in skeet , but I already had them loaded for trap. It was nice to see them break those targets all to heck. They are buy far the best trap loads.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
24 gr at 1310-1340 for just about every International load there is... even up to 1400 in Europe I've been told. Every International load I've ever shot feels about same as my 28 gauge, they shoot really nice!
they shoot nice that's why I use them. your right it feel like a 28 gauge

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hate to hear that 700X is a loud report powder. Can anybody else comment on this? I have never used 700x in the past and was just ready to buy some to try out. I normally only load 1oz and try to keep it about 1180 fps.
no your ok it was red dot....I have the gun ported that may be the cause as well. I didn't think they sounded that loud. He was just being a pain with something to complain about. He was grumpy that day.

·
Registered
11,130 Posts
Dolphin, I loaded up like 4 lbs of 700X. It is a good fast burning powder. It meters very nicely for consistent drops, so you get consistent speeds, and it is pretty clean, so its a pretty clean powder. But, I too have ported barrels, and it does effect your fellow shooters. I too never noticed any difference in my loads (sound wise), over Red Dot powder. I will not go back to Red Dot as its a large flake powder that meters poorly in reloaders. I was getting Minus .03 to plus .03 grains up and down. That's a .6 tens up and down, sometimes even .7 tens. I was wondering why I was getting a one or two shells in every box I loaded that seemed to rock my shoulder. It was enough that I was able to notice it. That's when it was time to switch powders. I now use Clays powder. It works very well for your load above. Do not use Nobel Sport primers for that load. Only Win. or CCI's, Feds. as the pressures are very low, and I was getting off sounding loads with Nobel Sports. Rio's are hotter and may be fine if you like to use a cheaper primer. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dolphin, I loaded up like 4 lbs of 700X. It is a good fast burning powder. It meters very nicely for consistent drops, so you get consistent speeds, and it is pretty clean, so its a pretty clean powder. But, I too have ported barrels, and it does effect your fellow shooters. I too never noticed any difference in my loads (sound wise), over Red Dot powder. I will not go back to Red Dot as its a large flake powder that meters poorly in reloaders. I was getting Minus .03 to plus .03 grains up and down. That's a .6 tens up and down, sometimes even .7 tens. I was wondering why I was getting a one or two shells in every box I loaded that seemed to rock my shoulder. It was enough that I was able to notice it. That's when it was time to switch powders. I now use Clays powder. It works very well for your load above. Do not use Nobel Sport primers for that load. Only Win. or CCI's, Feds. as the pressures are very low, and I was getting off sounding loads with Nobel Sports. Rio's are hotter and may be fine if you like to use a cheaper primer. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the powder I want to use next is clays or clays international. They seem to have a larger range of loads published as well. I use to use noble primers all the time with no problems. The thing is now they are not that much cheaper than Winchester. I have 10 boxes of Winchesters, 1 box of remingtron, and a few federals . Im always buying and hording reloading supplies. Never know when back door gun control is going to hit and how. I never figured the powder thing though. you break them all to now.

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Clays and 7/8 oz are made for each other. Keep in mind when you experiment with a lot of powders, the powder volume comes in to play. It takes a consistent volume of powder with your choice of components to make a good load.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Pull & Mark, not trying to be a butt, just trying to understand. .03 + .03 is .06 or 6 hundredths not 6 tenths. .06 grains is less than my scale will weigh. Six tenths or a little over half a grain could be a concern.
Again, not trying to be rude, just trying to learn.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Max speed in skeet (NSSA) is 1200 FPS and the guy you were shooting with is a cry baby. You were not shooting a tournament so WHO CARES.

When Im in a slump I work on my sportsmanship and do my VERY best to not drag others down with. Hit that guy in the head with a tack hammer first chance you get. Typical skeet shooter.............................

1 - 20 of 27 Posts