Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting trap for about 7 years, I have to say I am not real good at it I break maybe a 18 or 19 if lucky. so I put most of my effort to shooting skeet. I have a lot of fun with both sports. I just love to shoot.

Anyhow 3 weeks ago I tried some new loads that Tom cerento posted in a skeet shooting review magazines.
One load was for a 7/8 ounce load with a velocity of 1310 with low pressure, the other was for 1 1/8 using unique powder. I tried both loads at trap and absolutely crushed the birds and have been shooting 24,s and 25's. since.

In the past I have shot 1 ounce loads and they have been good I guess. Anyhow I went to the pattern board and noticed that the 7/8 and 1 and 1/8 loads shoot a much better pattern and they also shot with out much recoil.

Could this be that my gun just prefers these loads and shoots best with them. I know you must think I am crazy for thinking this. I guess trap is as much a mental game as physical. But with these loads I ink blot those targets. I may be a trap shooter yet.

I have to say that the 7/8 ounce loads hit the targets just as hard as the 1 1/8 ounce loads.
So I will just use the heaver loads on trap league night and save the lighter ones for practice.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
If you are shooting 24's and 25's, don't change anything or even think about changing anything. You are there. If you start to earn yardage, stick with your 1 1/8 oz. load for handicap.

A good friend and shooting instructor who won his share of money when the payoffs were fat used to say: "It takes a dummy to shoot trap." Don't think about anything just see the bird and shoot the bird.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are shooting 24's and 25's, don't change anything or even think about changing anything. You are there. If you start to earn yardage, stick with your 1 1/8 oz. load for handicap.

A good friend and shooting instructor who won his share of money when the payoffs were fat used to say: "It takes a dummy to shoot trap." Don't think about anything just see the bird and shoot the bird.
I just mount the gun as firm into my cheek and shoot as soon as I see the target....I have to shoot early and quick my eyesight is not real good. I work with a microscope all day go figure

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Keep shooting the 7/8. You don't need the 1 1/8. Why mess with success, by changing loads every week? When you are shooting 7/8 on league night, just accept you missed, when you do. Unless you are shooting long distance or games, a 7/8 load is all you need.

If you have to, lie to your squad mates and tell them you are using 1 1/8. Then they will not try to brainwash you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Such a dramatic improvement seems unlikely to come from a "better" pattern.

Could be less recoil allows you to stay on the gun and bird more often. Could be the new loads shoot a tad higher (or lower) than your old loads. Maybe you saw that on the pattern board?

IOW, either or both may be correcting shooting errors you make with the old loads.

·
Administrator
8,662 Posts
If the 7/8 work for you keep rockin with them but do not lie to your squad mates because if you are shooting new shells they will find out ;) There is a guy that I know that tells everyone that he shoots 1 0z. on everything and you see in his shooting bag and his truck new 1 1/8 AAs and dude is constantly swearing up and down "Yep me and my 1 oz. on everything" We see this guy mainly at registered shoots and it is really just humor because nobody cares but we wanted to get him a t-shirt made up that had a AA Shell on it and in writing "Me and my 1 oz."

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello and thank you for interest in the loads. They are as followed.
7/8 ounce loads
Remington gun club hull 1310 fps @ 8200 psi
Winchester primer
tgt 12 or dr drrt wad
20.5 grains of promo powder
it also works well with the following recipe as well
Federal gold medal hull (some one gave me several thousand of these this summer)
federal primer
federal 12so wad
19.5 grains of promo powder
1290 [email protected] 85oo psi

I have tried both of these loads and they work great a little bit of unburned powder, but its worth it for what it does to targets.Might not work well in real cold weather.

The 1 and 1/8 load is as follows

Remington hull
Winchester primer
waa12 wad
22.0 grains of unique powder
1200 fps @8900

these loads really smash the targets and give off very little recoil

try them and have fun.

Jeff mcfarland

·
Registered
810 Posts
Federal made some 7/8 ounce loads a few years back. They were low pressure loads in paper hulls with a card over the shot. I bought a couple of flats to shoot after having experienced some eye trouble and ran the first 75 targets when I went to shoot them.

RST Classic Shotshell makes them.

·
Registered
308 Posts
A number of regulars at my club uses similar loads, 7/8oz loaded at a screaming 1300++ fps. I tried one box and it felt really good with smooth recoil, you get a gentle push instead of sharp jab.

On the 16 yards line it broke targets almost the same as the heavier by slower 1 1/8oz loads at 1145fps. Heck, it even cycled my semi-auto, making it a very reliable load.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
dolphin, they are both nice loads. If you want to try one that is even better IMO, use American Select powder instead of Promo. It will perform better (at least in my bunker barrels) and shoot even softer.

BTW, your Federal load components with 20gr Am Sel was my bunker load with 24g (375gr) WCM #8 shot. Out of a .019" barrel it destroyed 27 yard ATA targets.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Well I just might try some 7/8 ounce loads especially for my first shot in DBL should keep me on and in my gun better thus moving to the second bird better

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
The key will be to use the hardest shot you can buy. Hard shot patterns tighter than soft shot. And if you are going to use 7/8 ounce loads, you really, really want tight patterns.

And don't use 8-petal wads.

Reactions: Neil Winston
1 - 18 of 18 Posts