Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Federal Top gun also has a 7/8 oz target load TG12EL8 - 1200 FPS, there is a lady at our club that shoots them all the time at the 16 yd line and she shoots them well I might add.

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
Federal Top gun also has a 7/8 oz target load TG12EL8 - 1200 FPS, there is a lady at our club that shoots them all the time at the 16 yd line and she shoots them well I might add.
The AA load is much slower and MUCH less recoil than the 7/8th Top Gun.
On the down side, They're also double the cost!
MG

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've shot a bunch of the 7/8th Federal loads mentioned above; they work great for singles and I would assume for first shot of doubles.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Has anybody ever pondered the fact that a 7/8 oz factory load has 25% less shot that a 1 1/8 oz factory load, yet this is not reflected in pricing?

Just food for thought

I think that if you like 7/8 oz load you should strongly consider reloading.

I make my 7/8 oz shells on a Lee load all because I don't go through that many of them and even at the not so good pricing for reloading supplies in my area, I can make a box for $4.50.

Just something to think about

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I shoot Fiocchi 7/8 oz 1350's for practice. I am always amazed how hard and how far they will break a target.

·
Supporting Vendor
10,237 Posts
Has anybody ever pondered the fact that a 7/8 oz factory load has 25% less shot that a 1 1/8 oz factory load, yet this is not reflected in pricing?

Just food for thought

I think that if you like 7/8 oz load you should strongly consider reloading.

I make my 7/8 oz shells on a Lee load all because I don't go through that many of them and even at the not so good pricing for reloading supplies in my area, I can make a box for $4.50.

Just something to think about
Yep. If you need a 7/8oz load, load it yourself. I haven’t found anything that are nearly as effective as my reloads.

·
Registered
157 Posts
What's all needed for reloading shotgun? I'm used to rifle.

How long will hills last and are all hills reloadable?

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
The AA load is much slower and MUCH less recoil than the 7/8th Top Gun.
On the down side, They're also double the cost!
MG
Low recoil, low noise, low score.
Absolutely the truth right there!! A buddy of mine shot these (in 20 ga, not 12) during a tournament in Stockton one year, and it was awful!

His scores for the tournament were:

DBLS - 99
12 ga - 100
20 ga - 90
28 ga - 98
410 ga - 100

Yes, that Winchester "Low Noise, Low recoil" was junk. Half of them sounded like bonafide bloopers, and people were walking up to our field offering him boxes of factory, because they thought he was shooting some really crappy reloads!! It was quite comical, other than his score. (Well, that was comical, too, to everyone else!!)

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
410 shells, with 1/2 oz shot, have less than 50% of the shot in a 12 ga shell, and almost always cost more than 12 ga (within the same brand line). They produce much less of them, so price is higher.

·
Registered
32,272 Posts
I don't reload, am looking for a very light load for first shot at doubles.
Before anyone can tell you what factory 7/8 oz load is best, you might want to consider your supply sources. What stores do you frequent or do you shop online? Checkout your supplies inventory of the brands available. You are looking for something not commonly carried by most and your US factory offerings are going to range from slim to none. You are probably going to find imports with more offerings, but who carries them. Another negative is most imports are offered in faster velocities designed for bunker trap, perhaps not for you.

If you don’t reload is there anyone you know that would reload for you, you supplying the components? Your 1st shot of doubles shell is not going to require a large stockpile, so a couple cases might get you by. Another option is buying a quality used reloader like a MEC 650 or even a Lee loader to to satisfy your needs. The next hurtle you face would then be finding and settling on the one reload that works for you which is going to be trial and error and testimonials by people their pet load is best bar none.

Light load 1oz target loads are more available from domestic and import sources, so you have a challenge for yourself.

Reactions: ganger
1 - 20 of 43 Posts