Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this gun from Cabela's. I was shooting trap with my 391 sporting and this is my first o/u. Really like the gun except for 2 features. First is the ejectors that throw the shells over the shoulder. Can this be adjuster so the gun only uses the extractors? Also, there is a small set screw the locks the barrel selector switch. Can this be removed and the gun used without the screw in and not cause problems? The wood is very nice but I would prefer a little more gloss. Perhaps a little tongue oil right over the existing oil finish? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Great guns for the $! Just cup your hand over the shells when you break the gun open. Don`t know about the finish though.
Good luck with the gun!
Regards , Pete

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just bought one recently. I used a product called Howard Restor-A-Finish purchased at Rockler Woodworking. It gave it just a bit of a sheen and really brought out the color and grain. The screw can easily be removed and the selector will work just fine. You will have to be careful if you intend to shoot the bottom barrel first, as pushing the top lever over to open the gun it is really easy to push the selector over to the top barrel.

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
I cut a tiny slit with an Xacto blade in the foam of the spare bead/trigger box and store the screw there...of course if you just want to be rid of it..you can send to me I'll gladly use it

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I believe that there is a way to make the gun not eject. It may be as simple as getting an ejector spring the right length. That said you will be better served to learn to catch the hulls as you open the gun. Pretty soon you may be traveling to registered shoots, you may want to act like a rich man ejecting your hulls over your shoulder, even though you may be shooting discount ammo.

As for the set screw, CalvinMD beat me to it if you want to get rid of it. I originally had a top single combo. So I removed it to switch back and forth. Now I have dedicated Unsingle for Singles and Handicap. So the O/U is just used for doubles and I always shoot the bottom barrel 1st. I have really smoked the first target in doubles and lost the 2nd a few times because I have IC on the bottom and Lt Full on the top; because as krony2 posted I accidently moved the selector over.

Jason

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Great guns for the $! Just cup your hand over the shells when you break the gun open. Don`t know about the finish though.
Good luck with the gun!

Pete ... Thanks, I saw the gun at Cabelas $2900. The salesperson said it was on sale for $2500 and if I opened a charge, get an additional $250 in Cabela bucks + 5% veterans discount + $25 new member discount for a total of $800 off. They also gave my wife and me free Cabela hats and that sealed the deal. Seems to be a well made gun and the #3 wood is great. First night I shot 20,23,23 which is better than my average. I love the 391 for 5 stand and skeet, but this gun is better for trap. Have to get use to the 70/30 shot pattern as opposed to the flatter shooting 391.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've cut 1 or 2 coils out of the ejector springs on several beretta o/u for that exact reason. That way it still ejects the hull if you want it to, but the hull is also easy to catch.

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
The easiest way to modify it (and be able to reverse it) way is to cut the ejector springs. You can always by new springs. Another method is to cut the tips off the metal links on the forend iron and they will operate as extractor only, but that is hard to reverse. When you cut the springs, go slow, as spring tension is also what keeps the extractors mounted to the barrels whenever the barrels are off the gun. You want to maintain enough spring tension to keep them pushed all the way back. It would be a real problem if they fell out, as getting new ones and getting them fit is not a cheap/quick deal.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just remove the ejector sears. Then it will just extract instead of cocking the ejectors . Then if to want them in the future just reinstall them. Sean

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have had mine 9 months now. I think it is the best deal going on a quality Trap gun. The X Trap barrels have the rebuildable shoulders and are the same barrels that were used in the 682. The wood is high grade, especially for what you are spending. You may find that set screw useful so don't lose it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had mine for two years now and still love it. You can't go wrong with the cabelas version with the nice upgraded walnut stock, 682 barrels, extended chokes, plastic case .... It's a good value. I haven't heard anyone complain about one or have any issues since cabelas came out with them. They now sell as a combo with a unisingle, wish I had gotten that version instead but it wasn't available when I got mine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ape82 ... Did a search and couldn't find "ejector sears". Is there another name and how are they removed?

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts