Trapshooters Forum banner

686 Onyx Pro...low value??

4014 Views 20 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Leo
I was at the local candy store today and they had a 686 Onyx Pro...O/U only. Shot very little and great looking wood. I was pretty excited about it until I started checking the value of these guns. Why are they so inexpensive? Seems some very nice guns with really nice wood, shot very little, go for not very much. Any particular reason? Are these less reliable than the rest of the Beretta line? Or are they just undervalued/ underappreciated? I've never been a Beretta owner so I'm not real familiar with their line.

Thanks....Merry Christmas!
Trail
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
541 Posts
The Onyx Pro just has more fancy engraving and wood with more figuring.
That isn't quite right. First the Onyx Pro aren't engraved. They are a plain black action much like the 682 gold (not gold e). Also the barrels are 682 optimas with replaceable shoulders rather then the non replaceable ones on the 686.

Effectively the onyx pros are 682 gold's without adjustable triggers.

· Registered
170 Posts
There are two Onyx Pro models. The originals came with Beretta’s Xtra Wood. Later, Cabela’s had a special-order run made with upgraded wood, the most popular barrel lengths and ribs as well as a couple of other extras that I don’t remember. Initially they were only available through Cabela’s Gun Libraries but they didn’t sell through the Libraries as well as hoped and so Beretta offered them up to their premium dealers. The Blus Book only lists the original Xtra Wood versions. (I questioned the naming of this model, but by the time they showed me the plans, they were already in the works).

· Registered
55 Posts
I shoot the combo and love it. Going on 4 years with it and probably 15000-25000 rounds. I added a RAD and adjustable comb. Zero mechanical problems but did have some bluing wear that surprised me. I plan on adding a custom stock this year because I just want a better fit for my size.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.