Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on getting a new to me 682 dialed in for fit and balance today and was shooting some shells through it when I encountered the following problem.

It was set to shoot bottom barrel first.

When closing it, it would allow the bottom barrel firing pin hammer to release forward to the fired position.
It did it early enough that it did not fire the shell.

Upon opening it, it would eject the unfired shell.

It did not always do this, but did it a number of times.

also did it a few times with the bottom barrel when set to fire the top barrel first,

I figure a trip to a respectable gunsmith is in order.

any ideas what is going on?

I am not sure of the round count on it. breech face suggests it has been shot, but not a huge amount.

thanks for any insight you can share.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I would pull the stock and clean and lube first. Then test fire before having a gunsmith look at it. It can't hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Agree !! Take the stock off and blow it out with compressed air. Then lube it with RemOil or something or the like. Well worth a try.

·
Premium Member
10,589 Posts
Be careful with the compressed air. Most of the pins in the trigger assembly, all except one I believe, are just press fits and could be blown out with compressed air.

Do pull the stock, however. My guess is that you'll find some broken parts in there, like a hammer or sear; one of the parts that is supposed to hold the hammer in a cocked position until released. It happens; broke a lower barrel hammer on my own 682 recently.

·
Premium Member
11,995 Posts
Sounds like the sear return spring has broken (might be referred to as the 'inertia block spring').

It pushes the sear backwards so when cocking it catches on the hammer (or is it the inertia block? - I forget), anyway, by not locking the hammer back as you close the gun it lets the hammer move forward.

Worth pulling the stock - clean carefully first - over a sheet or two of white paper - see what falls out. I suspect you will see the broken arm of a small torsion spring... easy to replace...

682 Gold - 682 Gold Evolution | World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

·
Premium Member
11,995 Posts
Shooting Coach is not wrong - a trip to Cole's might be money well spent on a 'new - used gun.'

Reactions: smokintom

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am sure your cocking rod is worn and it is not cocking the hammer back far enough to engage the sear, It will problem cock if you open it all the way and give it a little bump , but if you open it normally it will not cock. The only way to fix it is a new cocking rod or build up the end of your cocking rod

Phillip Crenwelge

·
Premium Member
11,995 Posts
Phil,

I thought that too, but it sounds like the sear is catching - just not holding... Food for thought.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
These are very good guns, but will occasionally break a small spring. Taking the stock off and looking at it won't hurt anything, but a trip to Cole's will get it back in top shape for not much money. Let them give it an inspection while they have it.

Cole Fine Guns and Gunsmithing
Shooting Coach is not wrong - a trip to Cole's might be money well spent on a 'new - used gun.'
I totally agree. Good advice from both of these gentlemen.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a quick update,

the last thing done to it before it started misbehaving was I had a new stock put on it, the stock smith who put the stock on, did glass bed it.

he got a hold of me after seeing this post and said to send it back to him, he will check it over and make sure the bedding is not so tight in there as to not allow the guide pins that that hammer springs are on to go all the way back like they are supposed to.

as he said, start with the last thing done to it first. also indicated it was in really good shape inside there when he had it apart, not to day some small part didn't break, after all fertilizer happens.

so it is on the way to him.

if that is not the problem, he will likely know what is, although I suspect he is right.

Coles will be next if that does not fix the problem,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts