Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 1 in 4 shots the trigger is not setting. If I push down on the barrel a little extra it will set. I hear it set/not set. In the photo where the screwdriver tip is where it is not catching.

Any help would be appreciated.
Wood Gas Screw Metal Auto part

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced the forend iron levers and it resets like its supposed to. Happened to have a new set that's been lying around for years ago when I replaced them with the Coles extractor levers on my other 682

· Registered
2,763 Posts
While that made up for the total wear, it may be just enough to get there. The rods would ensure enough overcock for years to come.

If you think of the whole cocking system there are four parts that can wear, with five wear areas. The hammer, the cocking feet, the rods, and the iron levers you replaced. One part has two effective wear areas, which would be the rods.

Obviously your fix is the cheapest way, and most convenient for now.

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear ya, and I happened to have a set laying here. So that made it very convenient. I put a case through the gun and it shot all 250 rounds Sunday morning with no issues setting the first trigger/bottom barrel. This is a new/used gun to me and I knew it could have some issues. So I went to shoot doubles, and it would not set the second trigger/top barrel once. I didnt have a set screw the move the selector to see if it would work top to bottom, but it didn't work bottom to top. When I had the stock off, it was reliably setting the top hammer before and after the for end iron swap. I am able to set the second trigger by taking a mallet to the stock. I won't be able to take the gun out till tomorrow night. I'm going to take the set screw out and see if it fires top to bottom before I start looking at why its not setting the second trigger.

But I'm likely to be placing an order to coles here for at least fore end irons that extract(not eject), cocking rods, inertia spring, and probably what ever else they recommend. My other 682 I sent to coles years ago to go through and a trigger job. Been running well since and cycles light loads. I'm tempted to just send this one in, but the trigger feels really good already and I feel somewhat confident with it being that I have done a lot of the maint on my other 682x over the years. Either way if I booger it up too much, I'll just send it to coles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts