Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6'2" and have a long neck, long arms. My CG Clays gun has a 15" LOP and it's not too long, could be longer.
I just picked up a nice used gun listed on TS. I took it for a fit and they said I needed at least 1 3/4" drop at comb, it has 1 5/8" at present. The manufacturer doesn't make stocks with a drop that low so it would require having a custom stock made.
I don't want to spend that much and if I were to sell the gun I'd be left with a custom stock for that manufacturer.

I really don't like painting myself into corners, so I'm looking at getting a PFS.
Will a PFS adjust to 15" LOP or greater?
Will a PFS adjust to 1 3/4" drop or less?

With a PFS I presume I can either get a new grip and fit it to any new gun, or take it off and sell it.

Are there other options that I'm overlooking? Other fully adjustable kit like PFS? Less ugly?
Or, should I just have my stock wood cut, lower/drop the comb and be done with it?

I want to spend the least, recover as much of the expense if/when I sell.

I'm still working on developing my mount and I've never had a proper, fully fitted gun, so I personally like the adjustability of the PFS, just not thrilled with the look of the PFS.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
I would add a high parallel rib sight, an adjustable comb, and a Jones adjustable butt
plate. You ca get a high rib that glues on and the comb and butt plate work you can get
done by Tron. HMB

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has adjustable comb, but it is at lowest point, need to go lower.
Unsingle rib is already 1" high, and barrels get traded, come and go, would like to work with stock

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I'm also 6'2" and bought a new PFS to put on a BT 99. The advertising said it would provide an LOP in excess of 15" but the only way it did that is with spacers under the recoil pad. At my desired LOP the unit would wobble no matter how much it tightened the bolt attaching it to the grip and the upper guide rod was completely out of place. I was told it was my fault because I wanted an "exaggerated" length of pull. I finally gave up and sent it back for refund.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
PFS is way to go. I helped a gentleman get his to 16". All we did was put a 1 1/2" spacer made out of wood between pad and mounting plate with a 1"pad. This shortened the adjustable length of pull on PFS keeping system very tight without any wobble. Wood spacer was finished nicely and looks good, also we built pitch into spacer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can someone explain to me what exactly pitch is and if i can figure out if i need it on my own or with another person who knows nothing about what they are doing?

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Pitch is the angle of the butt pad in relationship to the rib.
Many like a gun to have zero or no pitch, the angle of the butt pad is 90 degrees to the rib of the shotgun.

A gun has positive pitch if the the bottom of the recoil pad or the toe is angled in and away from the shooter .
A gun has negative pitch if the the bottom of the recoil pad or the toe is angled toward the shooter .

There are a couple of good videos on line if you do a search.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
if your stock is not kicking you in the cheek then most likely your pitch is o.k. give or take...

·
Registered
152 Posts
You can easily figure out what you need in couple hours.

1. In order to low down comb - just add extra rib. Buy balsa wood in stores like HobbyLobby, spray with black paint and attach to the existing rib.
2. If you need extra LOP - just add spacers between stock and recoil pad. I use sometimes round shape magnets (about 1/4" thick).

By playing with these 2 options you'll figure out your next steps.
I'm 6' 3", but I do not always like longer LOP, all depends on the gun and how it balances in your hands.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The butt pad is adjustable, as is the comb.

The comb is all the way down
The butt pad is all the way down
With my cheek on the comb I see a ton of rib from mid to end
I need LOP first, and possibly less comb.
I was measured at Krieghoff International and I'm mostly going by their recommendations.
I really don't want a strip of balsa glued on a $16,000 gun(I bought it used for 1/2 that) I know it might fit the bill, but I just can't do it.
I want to eventually find a nice stock and have it made to measure, but first I want something I can fine tune and adjust until I'm smoking clays more consistently.
PFS is one option, a new rib (two actually) is another option
What else should I look at?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can someone explain to me what exactly pitch is
Search this forum for "pitch" "in the titles only" and you'll get lots of posts and explanations of what is it, how to measure it, and how to tell if you need to modify yours. Luckily pitch appears to be the easiest to change.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Custom stock. Just be sure you are spending your money for custom stocking of a gun you will never have to replace. If you believe that gun is a CG (?) then be fitted and have a custom stock made. If not, then the first order of business is to find the right shotgun before committing to a custom stock. Life is too short to have to contend with something as ugly as a PFS. Sort of like having a perfectly good leg and have it amputated so you can be fitted with a prosthetic leg!

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
If you already have a Adj. comb and a Adj. butt plate and both are adj. to the max for you, and you still see a lot of rib between the two beads you have a big problem!!! A PFS or a Add On Rib are your only two ways out of this. This leads to just one question since you can't answer the POI your current gun has, It will be tough to guess which angle to make your new Add On Rib!!! So maybe a parallel rib would be best unless you like a really high POI.

You'll have to remember you will have a hard time if not impossible task trying to sell this add on rib down the road. Trying to sell the PFS down the road is a piece of cake, and you'll lose zero, zip, nada, if you buy one used to start with. Do you want to look good or hit targets??? Several shooters have had their PFS's wood-grained to look more normal and this helps, but nothings perfect is it!!! Good Luck and break em all Jeff

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"Eventually" I will have a custom stock made. But first I want to set the stock and shoot. After shooting 5,000-10,000 rounds at a good setting, I'll pay for the stock to be made.
I haven't patterned this one yet, but rib is adj and I prefer a more flat pattern

·
Registered
682 Posts
Kick-eez makes rubber spacers up 1/2" and Brownell's carries ones up 1" thick, graco makes a LOP pad that goes in/out, up/down as does Add-A-Rib/Stock Positioning which should take care of the Length of pull problem. Can also use a thicker recoil pad.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts