Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used die sets for their 600 jr. I was looking at getting a set of .410 dies for my Jr because it's alot cheaper but not sure of the hassle of switching them around all the time would be. Thanks

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
I needed a 16 gauge and bought all the pieces to convert a 20 gauge MEC jr. WAY too much bother to switch back and forth, and does not really make economic sense. Look around for a used press. Chances are you can by a whole press for the cost of the pieces and shipping. Unless you have nothing to do, it is just not worth the time to switch and re-calibrate everything when you want to load a different shell

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Price of a die set is outrageous. But I got a deal from a gunshop that ordered a set for a customer, then got stuck.

I switched between 28 and 410......once a year, then back. During the winter boredoms I would set-up for 28 gauge, then load a case (500). That would be enough to get me thru my registered shooting, and that was all of my 28 gauge shooting. Then I would convert back to 410 for the rest of the year.

It's fairly easy to convert after you do it a few times.

But a friend retired and moved to Florida and left me his 410 650, so there has been no reason for me to convert between 410 and 28 since then.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
It would be tiring real quick. You can get a used one for $125. Die sets seem to go for $60. alone.
The problem in looking for 410 and 28 ga. presses are always in demand because there is a lot of money to be saved.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I needed a 16 gauge and bought all the pieces to convert a 20 gauge MEC jr. WAY too much bother to switch back and forth, and does not really make economic sense. Look around for a used press. Chances are you can by a whole press for the cost of the pieces and shipping. Unless you have nothing to do, it is just not worth the time to switch and re-calibrate everything when you want to load a different shell
Exactly!!
It's like a buying a metal lathe with change gears as opposed to a quick change gear box. Folks buy the change gear lathe too save money and say, "I won't mind switching all those gear sets." The fact is, you will and you'll avoid it like the plaque. Been there and done that. In fact I even made that statement about not minding. I hated it and would often cut metal at a feed speed too fast or slow just to avoid changing them. Sold that lathe and bought a quick change gear box lathe with variable speed headstock and won't look back.

As for the loader, once they find out how much changing dies and resetting them sucks, they will be kicking themselves for not buying a whole seperate machine dedicated to that caliber.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a string of 600's in all guages, all bought cheap at garage sales and swap meets. Tried the changing die sets a long time ago, bad idea IMHO

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Sometimes it works when you have a loader in Gauge X that you aren't using, but need to start loading Gauge Y.

But if you can sell the Gauge X loader and use the funds for a Gauge Y loader, that may make more sense. Do the math.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When you said stripped I assumed you mean nothing but the empty frame. It would cost a fortune in parts to bring it back into working order. I usually pay from $20 to 50 for a complete 600 at garage sales, etc.
Actually the empty frame is probably worth zero unless someone needs it because of damage to an existing frame, which I've never heard of but I guess it could happen. JMHO TC

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I meant a 600 minus the dies. Basically for use by someone with a gauge conversion set. If your getting complete 600's for $20 I need to come to your area for garage sales..lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
I accumulated three more this summer, one free, one for $20 and one for $40. They are almost always missing all or part of the reprime assembly and bottles so there's some $ just to get them going again but I enjoy putting them back in service.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
About 5 years ago, I bought my used 600jr for $50 ready to go. I would imagine it is still worth $50

·
Registered
86 Posts
Keep your eyes peeled, Craigslist is pretty good for a "MEC per month", usually an estate sale or something, $50-75 for a 600Jr. in So. Calif. the last one I got was $35. Almost always 12 or 20 but you can convert it to 28 or .410 and still end up ahead of the game with brand new dies.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts