Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a estate deal and recieved these 3 full containers of powder. The Red Dot is not a problem. I found some data on the 8# of 571 and it shows it was a 28 gauge powder and in 12 gauge it was used at 30 ish grains for 1.5 oz of shot. Obviously a hunting load.

I would just like to use it up for target loads and am wondering if anyone has loaded it in the low 20's with 10z or 1-1/8 loads?

Not sure what to do with the Herco either??? but only a pound so not to worried about that one. I got a batch of these primers to...anybody guess about how old they would be?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Not exactly sure when the primers had changed, but guessing in the mid 80's. The WW571 could be used as backup loads in 12ga., but like you say was used in 28ga and heavy waterfowl loads. If you have a particular load you want, I still have loading data for WW571. It does take a heavier powder drop.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Winchester 571. Don't know about using it for target loads in 12 gauge unless you like massive amounts of recoil. Used to load it to shoot ducks with when we could still use lead shot.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Was just poking through my old manuals and do have load data for Herco in a Hercules manual dated 2-76. Fairly heavy loads as well. The lightest load being a Remington hull, AA red wad, and 25 grains of Herco, with 1 1/4 oz. shot.

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
I have a 1993 Winchester reloading manual. Nothing in it in 12 ga. for 571 except 1-3/8 oz. and heavier loads.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I believe it's too slow for any target loads, and as said earlier, the same as HS-7. Do you have a .44 mag or other mag pistol? Maybe trade it for something you want? A local gun shop may trade you out for something.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I acquired a can of WW 571 in a large purchase. Found no recipes for 1 1/8 trap loads. Loaded up some 1 3/8 oz test loads and could not take the recoil.

·
Premium Member
6,022 Posts
571 is strictly for hunting type loads in 12ga. Its very slow burning. If you try to use it for 1.125 loads you will not find data in reasonable fps range. Don't know what area your from but possibly some old turkey/Annie shooters would be happy to buy or trade you out of it.

Herco is a hunting load powder also in 12ga. Works nicely with 1.25 loadings.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I would call Hodgdon and ask if they have load info for 1oz and 1 1/8 loads for 12ga, using WW571 powder. Winchester 15th Edition has loads for 16ga with 1oz and 1 1/8oz, 1oz loads for 20ga, and 3/4oz loads for 28ga.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for all the replies. It looks like my best option is to sell it or trade it, so that is what I should do.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I used lots of 571/HS-7 for games. It was designed for 1-3/8 to 1-1/2 lead loads. There were a couple of 1-1/4 loads around for it, but nothing lighter.

Works good in other things and gauges.

I traded the last of it for more usable powder.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
You already got one person here that wants some. If either or both of you had noted your location getting together could be arranged.

At least one of you should PM the other.

Jason

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have a 3# keg that the seal has never been broken. If around west-central Illinois I would sell or trade if that helps. I don't want to ship.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts