Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought someone might like this old video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0cT2JFmsXk&feature=player_embedded

·
Supporting Vendor
9,954 Posts
With state of the art computers like they were using, it's amazing that they couldn't have come up with a better gun.

·
Registered
16,612 Posts
Let me see, 50 years ago. 1963.

Important events: the first computer game is designed, Moore's law is defined, ASCII becomes a standard, the first general purpose computer language.
Audio cassettes are invented.

2 years later Integrated circuits are explored, and "C" language is developed.

1100's were an outgrowth of the 878 and Model 58, early attempts that needed to be improved.

The Model 1100 holds the record for the most shells fired out of an autoloading shotgun without malfunction, cleaning or parts breakage with a record of over 24,000 rounds. The record was set in 1978 with a Remington model 1100 LT-20. Breaking this record has been attempted with several other models of semi-auto shotguns but has yet to be broken.

I have a dozen or so, had the B gun, SX-1 & SX-2, can't get rid of Old Faithful. They have a few pimples, but once you know them they are easy to live with.

HM

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Thanks for sharing the old Video link,

I have 4 1100's one in each gauge but 16,, Guess I need to start looking

DGH

·
Supporting Vendor
9,954 Posts
Pheasantplucker, I NO longer shoot lowly auto-loading, hull flicking, part snapping autos of any kind. I have become a K gun snob. Please make a note of it. Now, if you would like to put your greasy, noisy, unsightly eyesore 1100 up against my K gun in any game of your choice, then Ok....otherwise, close your trap.

I'll bet you a pack of E-Cigarettes.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
The only areas the 1100 needs improvement on are:

The latches should not need to be staked in place, but simply held in place like the Mossberg 500. The staking loosens up, and you can only restake them a limited number of times.

The mag tube should be screwed in, like the Mossberg 500, not soldered in. This would allow owners to swap mag tubes for repair or capacity.

The issue of handling light 2-3/4" and heavy 3" loads in the same barrel has already been addressed. It's called the 1187.

I'd like to see the action spring placed around the mag tube, instead of coming out of the rear of the receiver, allowing more freedom for buttstock choice, including a PFS. This has actually been done, but the conversion was aftermarket and I think the patent has not run out yet.

Having said that, I still prefer the 1100/1187 over anything else.

As for an LT-20 making it 24,000 rounds without cleaning, I know they can go further than a 12ga 1100 or 1187 because of of less fouling byproducts from lighter powder loads, but I find it incredible one went that far. The 12ga version is not going to get anywhere near that.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,954 Posts
Other improvements that would be nice:

1. Magazine and recoil tubes that thread into receiver.

2. Barrel support that is screwed on, not brazed.

3. Get rid of the stupid O ring and come up with a piston system similar to the Beretta.

4. Integrate the same cast/drop system that they offered on the Versa-Max.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Please expand on your barrel support thought.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,954 Posts
Seen too many snap off. Maybe it's called the magazine support. You know, that block with a half moon groove milled into it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bought mine in 1965 has worked flawless except for one oring replaced just shot two does with it this past Sunday.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Cool video, I bought a brand new one in 1963 and shot Trap League with it during the summer but on opening day of duck season I had a nice single shot gun so I took it back to the store and traded it for an 870.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I will say for many years I only had one shotgun & it was a 1100 3 inch Mag 12ga. With it since the middle 1970s & with it I have shot Pheasants Grouse Partradge Quail Ducks Geese Doves & coyotes & Deer. I can tell you with it I have ran 100 straight in 16 yd trap walked over shot Skeet shot another 100 straight by just changeing barrels from Full to Imp. I hunt with people who like my brother who shoots a B-Gun & if it's any better you can't prove it to me. I have tried many O/U & single barrel trap guns & other guns from friends years ago & have no interest any more my 1100 does it all.
Any one who think a 1100 is unreliable is a fool, Most Autos reliability is with the owener who maintains it period. Is there a better design yes 11-87 it only took me 5+ years of shooting one to come to this conclusion.
I now own 5 Remington Autos 3, 1100 &. 2, 11-87.
I love to see nice O/U for there craftsmanship but not enough to buy one. I can afforde to buy what ever I care to & That's why I have 5 all stocked the same length & drop at heel.
Buy what you like, as I have.

·
Registered
9,707 Posts
The 1100 was ahead of it's time. Millions of them have been made. Started shooting trap with one in 1969. Shot my best Skeet scores with one when I shot on a couple of Base teams in the Air Force Own an 1100 trap grade now with a Hastings step rib barrel and a Jack west stock. They are still the easiest on the shoulder and easiest to clean. There have been a ton of trophies won with them. I've had several and will probably keep the one I now own until I die. They are one of the greatest guns Remington ever made and the fact they are still being made attest to that fact!

·
Premium Member
11,728 Posts
Cool video.

Man, I haven't seen an "analog computer" since college, and even then, few people knew how to set it up and program it.

I absolutely love my LT-20. Took it out near Delmas, in Mpumalanga Province South Africa, and shot a bunch of doves with it at a Pioneer Seeds research farm (yep, same Pioneer as we have in the USA.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts