Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an 8oz can of Alcan A-8 hanging around for probably close to 50 years. I think I have had this since 1961 when I bought my first MOd 12 and a single stage Texan reloader.
Several years ago I set it outside (slightly under cover). Today I noticed the bottom of the can had rotted out and powder was spilling out. I swept it up, took the can and poured it out on my gravel drive. I tossed a match at it and much to my surprise it was still very potent. (Be careful with old powders)! Larry Evans

·
Registered
683 Posts
Larry, you could have tryed to put out Whoosh with you baseball cap. What is the logo on that hat again? Oh yea, NY. Next Year. Barney

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
"A waste of good powder" HMB

Not True. Any time you get a whoooshh or bang with big flames its no waste. Thats entertainment to me but i'm not right you see. LOL

Matt

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Reminds me of the time I dumped some old unidentified powder near my driveway. Some time later, one of my customers-a female-proceeded to drop her cigarette butt while seated on the rear of my van. You guessed it. It flamed up and likely singed the hair off her legs-if she had any. No further damage and we all got a few laughs.

The moral of this story is be careful with old powder disposal!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had the pleasure of being a bomb tech, and at times had to dispose of 50 plus pounds of powder at a time. We just poured it out in a long curly line on the floor of a quary and set it off with time fuse. Broke my heart to see all that green dot, red dot and others go to waste!

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
NintyT,

You should have loaded up a few thousand shells with that powder for testing and evaluation. HMB

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
For what it is worth, 10 years ago while working up loads for my new '06, I was using IMR 4064. Had new can of powder plus a can that was at least 30 years old. I loaded some with the 30 year old powder & it actually chronographed more uniformly than the new powder. Go figure! Both had been kept near a dehumidifier so no moisture issues. Guess sometimes older is better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.