Trapshooters Forum banner

5/8 ounce 12 gauge loads

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Nebs 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience loading 5/8 ounce 12 gauge loads? TKS, Don P.

#4 ·
I loaded some up, just for giggles. I regularly load 3/4 oz loads with the CB 3/4 wad. I just put in 1/2 oz of shot instead, and threw a couple Cheerios on top, before the crimp. The recoil was so light that it wouldn't reset my triggers on an inertia O/U. I shot them through an O/U with mechanical triggers, and I was able to hit skeet targets, but the barrel was pretty dirty when I was done. I didn't see any need to continue the experiment.

#10 ·
I loaded some up, just for giggles. I regularly load 3/4 oz loads with the CB 3/4 wad. I just put in 1/2 oz of shot instead, and threw a couple Cheerios on top, before the crimp. The recoil was so light that it wouldn't reset my triggers on an inertia O/U. I shot them through an O/U with mechanical triggers, and I was able to hit skeet targets, but the barrel was pretty dirty when I was done. I didn't see any need to continue the experiment.
Do you think Milk would clean up the barrels ? lol

#14 ·
Hmmmm...ever hear about delayed ignition ? then detonation...seen it in pistols on cowboy action loads....it does happen...might as well put some acetylene in your barrel and light a match...The powder companies spend years and thousands of man hours testing loads for us that reload...that is why we have established load data..have you ever seen any published data on a 5/8 oz load ? think not say I . I bet you cull all your bad shells and mix powder too ! If you think you are some sort of micro chemist with a chrono...please do not step on the line with me ...or even shoot in the same state....

If you are that cheap and recoil shy....I would take up Bread Making

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.