Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to load for the first time .45ACP rounds for my new S&W 1911.

I have Bullseye, 185 LSWC (MB 452185S), lg primers

I just looked at the Alliant reloading manual on their site and found only the following formulas listed:

45 Auto:
Bullet - 185 gr Speer GDHP | 200 gr Speer GDHP | 200 gr Speer LSWC | 230 gr Speer GDHP | 230 gr Speer LRN | 230 gr Speer TJM RN |

There is no mention of 185 gr LSWC. What gives?

Guy Babin

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
4.0 to 4.5 of Bullseye should cycle the gun if held firmly. You might want to try a Wolff reduced power spring pack.

I have been using 5.0 Unique with a 200 SWG (HG68) as of late. One hole groups out of my 945. 231 is another old school powder I like.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Guy, Looking at my 45th Edition Lyman book 185gr cast with Bullseye: 3.5gr=778fps, Max 4.9gr=966fps. Accuracy load is listed as 4.9gr.

The exact powders and weight is listed for 185gr jacketed bullet only difference is a little slower velocity. Bullet weight is all you really need to be concerned about. The light slugs are a lot of fun if they feed ok.

·
Registered
161 Posts
4.0gr was my favorite with the 185. An old Alliant book has 5.4 gr with the 185 LWC @ 985 fps and 15800 psi. I would stay below 5gr of Bullseye.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Unless way over-sized, lead bullets will give less pressure than jacketed. So a load that is safe for jacketed bullets will be fine for cast.

Start with 3.5 gr of Bullseye. If you get failure to cycle, up by .2 gr until it cycles. Or get a reduced recoil spring.

Don Verna

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I agree with the others that 4.0 grains of Bullseye is a great load. All my 45's function fine with this load but they all have 12 to 14lb recoil springs.

Lately I've been reloading 45ACP with Clays powder. The advantage is that I have a lot of it and it's far cleaner than Bullseye. I use 3.8 to 4.0 grains of Clays.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I will third the clays for the .45. Works great and no feeding issues whatsoever with a standard spring. Jeff

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I've been shooting some nice reloads using Titegroup (I reload 12ga shells for my buddy and he reloads me .45's). That stuff rocks in my .45!

ss

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
If you already have Bullseye, try 4 grains. Make sure your ammo is loaded to correct length. Some Autos are right picky about feeding wadcutters.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the inputs all.

It sounds like I may need to order lighter springs as I believe my factory spring is a 16. What are the pitfalls of running 230gr factory loads while using a lighter spring that runs light loads well?

Is there a happy medium that will reliably run both? I understand that some trial and error may be necessary. What spring weights should I buy?

I bought Bullseye thinking it was the most popular acp powder out there... it now seems that maybe it isn't for light loads...

Thanks again all,

Guy

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Guy,
Bullsye will work great for light loads. It was THE powder everyone used to shoot. A happy medium is a 200LSW with 3.9 to 4.2 grains. It should work a stock spring. Adjust your powder until the brass just hops out the port a few feet. Both Bullsey & Unique have been somehow made to shoot cleaner in the last few years.

Using 230g ball with a 12 lb spring might crack your frame, plus recoil is sharp from the impact of the slide.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
There is nothing at all wrong with Bullseye. It was the gold standard with Bullseye shooters, and for most, still is.

I just started using Clays because I can not detect any accuracy differences and it is cleaner. It's also available in my house since I use it for shot-shell reloading.

Using full house loads with a reduced spring is not a good idea for the reasons mentioned by Brent. On the other hand you might get lucky and have the reduced loads function a hardball spring. If it doesn't work no damage will result.

Swapping out a spring is very easy. I know plenty of guys who get to the range, put in a softer spring and shoot light loads all day. Then they put in their 16lb spring, reload with their personal protection loads, and off they go.

Remember you can harm the gun with a too light spring but you won't hurt it with a too stiff spring, it just won't function. Each gun seems to be a law unto itself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.