Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aquired a 444 Marlin this week and would like to buy any ammo or Brass anyone may have and be willing to part with. I would like to stay away from the Hornady Leverelvolution brass since they are shorter.

Thanks in Advance!!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pork as well as the occasional bear that may be too close around deer camp. I can reach out to 300 yards (16-18 inch drop) any farther and well forget it. I love shooting any lever and just figured that I would add it to my safe. Oops Yep the price was right as well!!

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Bullets of 265 gr and heavier are a game changer for the 444. The 300 gr bullet will drop most any game animal any where at close range.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love the recoil not as heavy as my 45-70 but enough to knock down a 250+ pound anything. At the price for most live rounds I am really going to end up on top in the long run with my reloads. Not a caliber to load for speed but power is the aim on this project.

Deep woods all around this one will diffently beat out any 30-30 in the bush.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
My buddy just bought one New Year's day at an auction, neat piece. He too is having trouble finding components for the .444.
Doug Allison

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DBL Auto,

I found the Hornady Leverevolution online but as stated above since they have a longer bullet Hornady made the cases shorter. I do not like that since I would not be able to load them per the manuals state. I have a couple of dozen rounds of Remington just would like more so I have no worries.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Diffinitely a noticable difference. Don't want to try it. Maybe you could use them somewhere else but not for the 444.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I owned a .444 and a 45/70 I did not reload, found factory round price and recoil to be punishing,

If I lived in bear country. perhaps...

For whitetail deer, there's better choices.

If you reload, it's quite versatile.

I lost both when my deer camp was burglarized.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to hear that Shannon391. I am showing that the 444's are running about $2 to $2.50 each. I can reload them for close to $1.25 each. Not a bad deal.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Try that one...the Remington 240's are excellent ...after you empty them get some 270 Speers ..you'll love them too over a full load of IMR4198

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I second the mention of the factory 240's Great bullet for Deer out of my H&R single shot and also the most accurate factory load in that rifle.

I have a picture perfect mushroom from a deer last year shot thru the top of the heart. Ran 20 yards and DRT.

Cheap fun plinking loads with cast 44 bullets and Unique powder.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
I killed my largest hog ever with the triple 4....a 399lb sow that was aggressive as hell..I used Wisconsins reloads using the 240 Rem SP ...at 105yds I threaded the bullet thru the trees into her neck and she collapsed on the spot with a 1" entrance and tennis ball size exit taking 3 vertebrae a jugular an windpipe out with it...had enough bologna and smoked sausage for a year..our guide/ huntmaster said hes only seen a couple other crumple that fast and both were guys shooting 12gauge guns with Brenneke slugs at just paces away..I love that gun

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have close to 100 ,(not sure how many or the make) I will look tomorrow and be on tomorrow night.
They are unfired un primed, brand new. I don't have a gun so I will sell.
PM me and I will get back to you tomorrow night... C.W.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts