Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been loading 12 & 20 gauge for several years now and starting to load 410 for the grand kids and see load recipes for WAA41 wads and I have a few. I see wads advertised as a replacement for SP410, 410SC & WAA. So does that mean a SP410 can replace a WAA41?

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I use Claybuster 5050-410HS wads, which say that they are a replacement for most of the other 410 wads.
see link 410 Gauge
I also use SP410 wads, interchangeably with the CB wads in STS and AAHS 410 hulls.
I use 15.4 grains of H110/296 and Winchester primers.
I have loaded thousands of these, and they work very well.
You want to use AA hulls (they last for many reloads) and Hodgdon H110 powder, which is the same as Winchester 296.

·
Registered
14,357 Posts
To answer the OP's question, no.

410 wad volumes are all over the map. The Federal 410SC wad takes up the most room, followed very closely by the SP410. Nothing else is even close to either of those two. The 5050-410HS wad is the next closest, but is a very poor substitute in the STS case if you are using a dense powder like 296.

I don't care what the bag says, it is not possible for one wad to be an appropriate substitute for SP410, 410SC & WAA wads.

So the long and the short of it is that a recipe that works well w/ the WAA41 wad will very likely not have enough room for the SP410 without the crimp bulging and the pellets showing through the side of the hull.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Help please.

I'm using 14.5-15 grains of 296 in CF- AA hulls.....know as a silver belly, I understand. I'm running out of AA .410 wads and have lots of those hulls left. So, which wad "is the go to guy" replacement for this hull and load?

I've got the HS hull covered but gonna need some wads for the older hull. What say guys? Thanks...

Ernie

·
Supporting Vendor
5,921 Posts
Help please.

I'm using 14.5-15 grains of 296 in CF- AA hulls.....know as a silver belly, I understand. I'm running out of AA .410 wads and have lots of those hulls left. So, which wad "is the go to guy" replacement for this hull and load?

I've got the HS hull covered but gonna need some wads for the older hull. What say guys? Thanks...

Ernie
You can use either the Pattern Control 1/2 ounce wad (orange) or the Claybuster 1/2 ounce wad. Both will work in the old style CF Winchester hull.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts