Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been shooting trap from the 8 yd. line in Portage Mi. on Wednesday evenings and it is a lot of fun. I understand that they are also shooting 410 trap in Coldwater Mi. from the 10 yd. line.

I have been using the same load that I use for skeet, ie 1/2 oz of 9s over 12.5 grs. of Alliant 410. The scores for me are running about the same as shooting the 12 from the 16.

have any of you shot 410 trap?

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
I watched a few of the guys shoot .410's from the 16 yard line yesterday and they broke those targets as if they were using a 12ga.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I shot with a guy 30 years ago who shot 16 in yards with the 410.
He used those short tubes in a trap gun.

I don't recall his scores but he did OK.
I agree with RobertT if I was to shoot it I would shoot from 16 yards

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
There's a monthly pot shoot using 410 & 28 gauge guns in different gauged events, buddies and Annies. They shoot from twenty three yards, the 410 guy's shoot 3" hand loads and and the 28 gauge 1 once ones. No restriction on shot size or speed. It's kick to shoot, you woud be amazed how far away they drop targets.

Surfer

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I bought a 870 express off here a few years ago and a few of the other guys broke out there 42s and we shot doubles from behind the trap house to start then eventually moved back to the 16. We were all pretty surprised at how many we broke and how hard we could break them with them pump 410s.

·
Registered
124 Posts
We have done it in the past as a fun event with reclaimed clays. We shoot 410 from the 16 with the high score claiming the cash prizes. I think the last time I did this the high score was terribly low. 10 or 12. It was ridiculous but fun at the same time. Really have to be on the lookout for chips and it's humorous to see a clay simply break in half. The one caveat was that the 410 had to be a single shot AND have a hammer. No O/U companion tubes, etc. The quicker the shooter the higher the score so some of these clays don't get far out of the house.

Half the kids I grew up with had one of these so we have a few of them them around to start up the fun games.

The guy that sets up the shoots at the club has some fun games in his non-registered shoots. He always has some gun-handcapping event but that is mostly 20 which guys shoot damn near their typical ATA averages. I keep trying to get him to do 410 but he alwyas just waves me off. I think mostly of it becuase he's pretty good with his 20 guage.

What's funner, and just around the corner, is Dove hunting. Shooting these same 410's at them can leave a man humbled, or worse, hungry.

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
We have a yearly sub guage shoot at my local club. One event is 50 with a 410, 25-16's and 25-19yds. It will usually take a 43-44 to win sometimes a 45 and once I had a 46.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
We just went to a 410 shoot two weeks ago. My 410 never did cool off since 3 guys were taking turns using it. Worst thing was I lost by two targets to a guy I borrowed my gun to:duel: It was a great time.!! My son was in the shoot off for class B 410 with 3 other guys. We had used up all our shells and the other shooters were all borrowing each other shells to make the shoot off work! Great times by all.
The interesting thing was the winning scores were high 30's. You would watch a gun run one post than follow it up with a 2 or 3... Plus you could watch a squad of 5 shooting and while yes there were some good breaks most were not. You would see a LOT of dust off targets sometimes that just do not break.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Wasn't there are famous shooter of trap....or a big time trap shooter who switched over to Skeet, and shot the eyes out of everything with a .410? It seems that he was hurt in an accident 3 or 4 years ago.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
On our fall/winter 10 bird meat shoots several clubs have 410 matches....lots of fun.
Another reason to get out the solid rib model-42

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A 410 is fun from the 16, don't see the point of shooting a lesser distance, it's the Indian, not the arrow.
We are using 2-1/2" ammunition with 1/2 oz of shot.

Now if we were to use 3" ammo, then I think shooting from the 16 would be more feasible. I have shot 23s with the 28 ga from the 16 using my skeet handloads, which contain 3/4 oz of 8s, so the 11/16 of shot in a 3 inch 410 might be effective on trap from the 16, particularly if one was a quick shooter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts