Trapshooters Forum banner

.410 hulls

3253 Views 20 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  ezz555
Similar to my recent 20g post. I picked up several reloaded .410 hulls. At first glance they looked super clean and nice reloads. I was hoping to get a few more reloads out of the hulls. Took a few to the range and noticed some have a slight bulge in the brass. A few others, when fired, the plastic separated from the brass.

Is it worth trying to save any of the hulls are are they all pretty much trash now?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
428 Posts
Those 410 look like Remington - older ones are blue current production are green.

Just this past weekend I loaded a 100 of the olde blue Remington. 3 split brass. Overall length was a touch shorter than the current production. Say 1/16 short. Crimp closed but they had that pregnant look.

Loaded 1/2 oz of 8-1/2 northwest shot found in the Back of the storage locker. Using rem209 primers.

Fun smoking 410. Reminds me why I liked the 8-1/2 recipe. But I decided to give away the hulls after 1 reload. No problems with separating brass but that’s been known to happen on old stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
268 Posts
Just a heads up...remington used 57 size primers in hulls that looked like that before transition to 97-4 primer, a 410 force 209 size primer. If you experience any difficulty repricing with a 209 size primer, they may be 57 size. I dont recall the size of the rem 69, which was another odd rem primer.

· Supporting Vendor
6,376 Posts
Glad to see Remington is back up and running making ammo again but they just do not understand what makes a good .410 shell (or 28 gauge for that matter).

Reactions: cottntoptexan

· Registered
428 Posts
I’m using the clay buster replacement 1/2oz wad p/n cb5050-41HS which is the similar wad to Winchester WAA41HS or the REM SP410.

I load this wad into 2-1/2” win410 new style hull, Rem STS and Rem Nitro hull. Not a good fit in the 3 inchers.

· Registered
4,498 Posts
I have my shot bar tuned to consistently drop 1/2 ounce of shot. When reloading Remington hulls, there is still still plenty of room for more shot. The AA hulls are nice and tight.
.....Consistently tuned to WHICH BRAND of shot? As shot gets harder, it gets lighter. REM STS are known to have the hardest, and therefore lightest, shot in them....so they can put more BB's in. That's why so many top 410 shooters like using STS.

NSSA allows up to 232 grains Max of shot in a 410, where as a 1/2 oz is 218.8 grains nominally...so feel free to put more shot in them!!

· Banned
14 Posts
I’m using the clay buster replacement 1/2oz wad p/n cb5050-41HS which is the similar wad to Winchester WAA41HS or the REM SP410.

I load this wad into 2-1/2” win410 new style hull, Rem STS and Rem Nitro hull. Not a good fit in the 3 inchers.

Thankyou for that information. My sizemaster will be here in a few days. I am loading for just fun and enjoyment, being locked down because the virus thing etc. Used to load in the 1980's for shotgun. Have been loading metallic for 40 years and now with a new Mossberg over and under in 410 I want to have a little fun.

· Registered
428 Posts
The size master will become your 410’s best friend. I really like the full collet sizing die and the control I feel seating primers. I’ve been known to run my 410’s first on the sizemaster to size and set the primers and then finish the reload on my MEC 9000e automate. The 9000 does not handle a pertially seated primer well. The 410 is a bit tippy.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
.....Consistently tuned to WHICH BRAND of shot? As shot gets harder, it gets lighter. REM STS are known to have the hardest, and therefore lightest, shot in them....so they can put more BB's in. That's why so many top 410 shooters like using STS.

NSSA allows up to 232 grains Max of shot in a 410, where as a 1/2 oz is 218.8 grains nominally...so feel free to put more shot in them!!

I tuned with Lawrence shot......Now I am only able to get Eagle shot.....Have not had chance to weigh and load any shells with the Eagle. I am curious to see how much difference there will be.

THANKS

· Registered
2,107 Posts
Mix and match 410 hulls will drive you nuts trying to load them with your press set to load Winchester.
I would try 1 of a type and see..
The old rem peters blue ones
I used to put a shim under some of them to crimp right.
Finally I tried to give them away to Nssa skeet guys...no thanks..after that I trashed the whole lot.

· Registered
3,119 Posts
I used a 3-hole paper punch to make some over the shot discs from old primer sleeves. When I had enough Rem or Fiocchi hulls I'd sit down and load them, cover with the disc and crimp, then I'd put a drop of Elmer's Glue to seal everything.

Worked great, shoot'em and pitch.

Pat

· Registered
4,498 Posts
I get 245 gr of shot in STS hulls using the PC orange wad. I don't shoot any competitions so it's OK. Using 12.8 gr of Alliant 410 or 17.4 gr of 300-MP it boils targets.
I started out at 17.3 grains 300MP in my STS reloads, but was getting over 1400 FPS with them. I backed down to about 16.5, and really happy with how they’re breaking bird!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.