Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a little test reloading AA HS .410 hulls with 15.2 grains of 296, win 209 primer, clay buster wads and 1/2 oz shot. Book called for 15.3 gr but that is what my bushing dropped. I shot and reloaded 2 hulls 6 times and am getting splits by crimp and burning by splits. Is that about normal for this load or does another powder like 300 mp do better. Just want a nice 1200 fps skeet load. Thanks Ken

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
That is about what I get with the same recipe. Don't give up on them because of a little splitting and burning. Keep using them as long as the shot doesn't dribble out. :) Mark

·
Registered
299 Posts
It has been my experience that when using lil gun, or 410, the hulls will tend to split on the sides and burn through.

Since switching to 300mp, I haven't had the burn through the sides problem at all and I get a couple more reloads out of them. However, by 6 or 7 reloads the tips are getting pretty charred, stretched out and brittle.

I have not used 296 but with the powder scarcity I now have a jug of it on the shelf when I couldn't find 300mp. It will be interesting to try.

Dan

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Sounds about right with 296/H110.

As stated above, 300MP gives a few more loads, less pressure in most recipes.

I was loading 1300 fps, but backed down to 1250. Does a great job in my Tube guns.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I've loaded lil gun as long as it's been out, and every 100 I've ran has been with lil gun. It's very hard on hulls and on some wads. I switched to 410 last year and like it too. What advantage are you guys seeing in 300 MP powder? Larry

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
High speed loads with low pressures. Very good and consistent performance.

1200 fps loads in Fed/Eurotrash hulls is around 7,000 PSI. Go to Alliant's site and check out the load data. 1300 fps at less than 10,000 PSI even in compression formed hulls.

·
Registered
685 Posts
6 point crimps will show their age quicker regardless of powder types and drops. have a great day howard

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've had excellent results with the chedite hulls, buy them new from Ballistic Products 9 cents primed - hull just as good as win if not better

1 - 10 of 10 Posts