Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I'm new to reloading and trying to understand how your pattern is affected by the choice of wad. For example, I'm planning on loading 1 oz loads and Downrange makes a 4 petal wad and an 8 petal. What will I notice in terms of pattern quality between the two wads?

8-petal Jammer Wad

JAMMER XL1

Standard 4-petal Wad

DRXL1 GREEN

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Eight petal are more difficult to load since the Peta!s get bent over and collapse in the loading process. Stick with 4 petal wads. Regards Ed

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
I have loaded 4 and 8 petal for years and have never had a problem. And you really won`t notice any difference between the two. But heck try them both and give us your opinion.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Patterns will not be different. Some of the 8 are harder to load because of the petals bending in the shot cup.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I use the 8 petal Claybuster Lightening and the only problem I have is that they sometimes get bad instructions from me as to where to go to meet the bird and the bird gets away! BUT if I give the wad good instructions as to where to go, the shot contained in the wad and the bird have a most satisfactory meeting:funsign:

That's the long way of saying I am happy with their performance. The Lost targets are just about always my or the wind's fault. Incidentally, that same exact problem exists when I used four petal wads also.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Years ago, I was told that eight-petal wads would yield more open patterns because they separate from the shot charge sooner. Then the theory was that since the wad tumbling from your shot charge can disrupt the pattern, getting that to happen sooner would yield tighter patterns. I've not seen any difference on my targets and prefer eight-petal wads only because they are thinner, therefore lighter, and I take any reduction in recoil I can get.

As far as petals becoming folded over in your loader, that can happen with any wad. Simply put the wads in a mesh laundry bag and put it in your clothes dryer on high heat for 10 minutes or so. Then spread the wads out to cool and you will have perfect wads - your bed works great for that purpose. The petals get folded over because wads are bagged before becoming fully cool from being molded and the petals take that bent shape. Reheating them reverts them back to their intended shape and allowing them to cool without being crushed insures they stay that way.

Ed

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Years ago, I was told that eight-petal wads would yield more open patterns because they separate from the shot charge sooner. Then the theory was that since the wad tumbling from your shot charge can disrupt the pattern, getting that to happen sooner would yield tighter patterns. I've not seen any difference on my targets and prefer eight-petal wads only because they are thinner, therefore lighter, and I take any reduction in recoil I can get.

As far as petals becoming folded over in your loader, that can happen with any wad. Simply put the wads in a mesh laundry bag and put it in your clothes dryer on high heat for 10 minutes or so. Then spread the wads out to cool and you will have 250 perfect wads. The petals get folded over because wads are bagged before becoming fully cool from being molded and the petals take that bent shape. Reheating them reverts them back to their intended shape and allowing them to cool without being crushed insures they stay that way.

Ed
do what ED says.

jack mc

·
Registered
635 Posts
Been using WJ wads or clones for 25+ years with good results (just like prydek) and no problems. As for putting them in a clothes dryer I have been doing that for years too, but just for 4 or 5 minutes. Just empty a bag into the dryer and turn it on. It makes some noise but that is the only problem I have ever had with them. Oh yes, once I found one in a pair of underwear which immediately got my attention...guess I only took 499 out of the dryer. Once they are softened I pull them out and they go into my wad bin for reloading. I don't remember who told me to do that but I think it was someone from Windjammer when I called them regarding bent petals. I have done it for years and never had a problem with them or with CB's or Downrange and in fact I now do it with all my wads in all gauges. Makes reloading easier by far.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
The critical characteristic of the wad is the color. Always use a wad you like the color of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts