Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I wanted to publically address something that we have been contacted frequently about.

3S has been implementing barcodes as a way to identify shooters. We have added barcodes to all of the entry forms starting with Shoot Pro. When we were at the Eastern Zone we had begun to pass out barcode labels to affix to the back of ATA cards.

The reason why we started implementing barcodes to encode a shooter's ATA number; is because the magnetic stripes have a fairly high failure rate. The barcodes work the first time every time. Another bonus to the barcodes is that the readers are much cheaper than magnetic stripe readers. You can pick up a barcode scanner for around $15 whereas a decent card reader that would be able to read an ATA card would be around $60.

To help start the implementation of barcodes we are giving away barcode stickers for shooters to affix to their membership cards for free on our website

·
Vendor
19,215 Posts
I ordered mine. Thanks for the service. But why can't it be printed on a web format that we can print and affix?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I suspect it's because you would have to tie in a barcode generation program to the website, but I'll let George clarify that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered mine. Thanks for the service. But why can't it be printed on a web format that we can print and affix?
I suspect it's because you would have to tie in a barcode generation program to the website, but I'll let George clarify that.
Yes, that is an option, however, the reason why we went with the stickers is to make it as uniform as possible.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, but we will be future proof until they catch up with us :)

One of the clubs I shoot at still uses the imprinter.
What is your local club?
I am not sure about your club, but they can easily get up to date with a cheap USB 1D Bar Code Scanner. We sell them on our site for $25. However, I am sure that Amazon has some good deals as well, I would link to one but I don't want to recommend something I haven't tried.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will this work with Ver. 11.2 of 3S?
Yes and no. It will work, however, the software has not been optimized, so you will still have to click buttons to complete the scan. The other thing is that none of the reports will have any barcodes as this is an exclusive Shoot Pro feature. Basically, as long as the shooter has a barcode on their Membership card, and the club has barcode scanners then it will work.

It is also possible for clubs to get a bunch of barcodes for all of their shooters by special request. PM me for more info on that.

--

Side note: 11.2 has been discontinued since January 1st. Therefore it will not receive any updates

·
Registered
169 Posts
Side note: 11.2 has been discontinued since January 1st. Therefore it will not receive any updates
And that is a shame. I understand the issues with supporting two levels of software. However, there are many small clubs that have no need for the 2014 version along with the yearly fees.

As an owner and tester of George's original version and updated my copy when George made improvements I can not justify the kind of money and yearly fee's required for the current version.

Sincerely,
Ron Baker

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And that is a shame. I understand the issues with supporting two levels of software. However, there are many small clubs that have no need for the 2014 version along with the yearly fees.

As an owner and tester of George's original version and updated my copy when George made improvements I cannot justify the kind of money and yearly fee's required for the current version.

Sincerely,
Ron Baker
You are right. It really is difficult supporting two versions of the software that is so vastly different on the backend. We have no intention of killing support for Trap2014 for the foreseeable future.

It is also difficult for us to manufacture software and price it fairly. On one hand, we are a small company that needs to be able to stay afloat, on the other hand, we want to make the software affordable for many of the smaller clubs that run smaller networks. George and I have discussed in the past several times about how hard it is to keep that balance. That is one reason why we dropped the price of the standalone version to $450 for new users. With Shoot Pro, the yearly fee also includes the upgrade fee so as long as you are up to date with the new version of the software you get free updates. We are also offering all of our current user's discounts on the upgrade to shoot pro to try to help bring down the cost. If that is any consolation.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I'm waiting for the chip to be implanted in my body. It's way too hard to identify people by name and it's the future to have a chip after giving a DNA sample. Please put the bar codes up on the web so I can be a big dog by downloading their code and pretending to be them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Regarding bar codes, we are using them in Louisiana at our state shoot and barcodes save a bunch of time when classifying, etc. I mean it is significant.

If a club needs a way to generate a large number of bar codes initially, say for everyone in a club, there is a way to do it this from Word. PM me and I'll send you the information on how to do this. This is best suited to generate pages of bar codes not just one or two but you can may it work for one or two but it's a little cumbersome manipulating the label sheets in the printer. I also used the Word method after downloading all the shooters presquaded at presquad.com and made a list of the attendee barcodes and it worked wonderfully to look someone up quickly. 3S will print a list out also but it's many more pages than what I printed out. I had a copy of the list at each computer for scanning and we went to it time and time again. These barcodes from word print out on labels on a inkjet or laser printer.

If you have the need to print out one or two barcodes, I purchased a slightly used Brother QL-570 thermal printer from E-bay for a very low cost ($35). The Brother software is used to create a label and print them one at a time for a shooter that you hadn't anticipated like an out of state or new shooter. Or you can link the software to an excel database and print multiple barcodes. This printer can use either pre-cut labels or continuous labels. Cost is 2 or 3 cents a label. Again PM me and I can send the label file for the Brother printer. Be sure and get both of the cables if you buy the printer used. The software you can download.

Be aware I've set mine up to print on labels that are 1" x 2". Some think this is too large but you can adjust the programs for smaller labels. I did this because I only wanted stock one label for everything. You just stick the label to the back of the shooters ATA card.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts